Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:11 AM   #21

So you are telling me that each photo must be uploaded to LR in order to edit. Can photo folders containing several photos be loaded into LR?
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:32 AM   #22

You would load folders of images, not individual files. Once the folder is there, you import new files into the folder via Lightroom. If the folder is in Lightroom and you just drop a file into your computer without using Lightroom to import the image, it will not "show up" in Lightroom.

I typically load images to my computer by plugging in a card reader, inserting my card into the reader, opening the folder up on my computer with the new images, opening a second folder and choosing myself where on the computer I want them to go, select all, then drag and drop the new files where I want them. Does not work for Lightroom. You have to use their import feature to initially load exsiting folders into Lightroom, then import additional files as you go. If I'm using Photoshop, I can put my images anywhere I want and its all there with no need to do special importing.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jun 13, 2012 at 11:46 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:49 PM   #23

That sounds like the only drawback with LR but once your done with it, no problems. Thanks for the info Greg, much appreciated.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 1:41 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
That sounds like the only drawback with LR but once your done with it, no problems. Thanks for the info Greg, much appreciated.
Hi James,

Greg is correct, in that any of your existing files need to be 'imported' into Lightroom. This can be done by entire folders, so, shouldn't be a daunting task.

However, As with PSE10 or CS5 or6, you can upload all new files directly from the camera into Lightroom.

Essentially, you go to File> import photos> select source>(your camera)>
press import and the files are imported into Lightroom.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 2:09 PM   #25

Thanks Zig, I use PSE10 as my import device now so no problem. One question I did have. Once you upload the photos to LR4, are the folders also in the "My Pictures" Folder or are they only in LR4. I'm thinking LR4 is just a software they are shared with but they have to be uploaded first in order to use LR4.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 2:23 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Thanks Zig, I use PSE10 as my import device now so no problem. One question I did have. Once you upload the photos to LR4, are the folders also in the "My Pictures" Folder or are they only in LR4. I'm thinking LR4 is just a software they are shared with but they have to be uploaded first in order to use LR4.
The files will be stored in the same location you currently have
your picture files in now. This process, saves an additional step.
Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote