Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jun 11, 2012, 7:46 PM   #1

Default Digging Into Shadows and Controlling Highlights

After working the initial wave of images from my trip, I'm now going through a second wave where I initially had some doubts about viability due to either extended highlights, too deep shadows, or both, but ACR in CS6 is really coming through in a big way with these E-P3 files.

St. Germain Des Pres Church in Paris is OLD.....even for Paris, and the light is..... well.... there is little light, so I was very happy to get this image to work with the two partially, brightly lit figures..

Like-wise, I figured the darker areas of the nave in this image of Reims Cathedral were going to be unreachable in exposing for the stained glass, but just enough comes through, without adding enough noise to be an issue, and being able to control the highlights in the clear glass windows was the topping on the cake.

And these full-length panels of Saint Chapelle are some of the better-looking I've shot. As I pulled back on the highlights and white sliders I watch much of the detail come back into the small figures faces painted into the glass. All three of these images were captured with the 12mm f2 Zuiko.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2012, 5:15 AM   #2

Holy crap, it's like I'm there!
Congrats Greg...
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 6:03 AM   #3

Beautiful, just beautiful.
Paris is one of the few places outside of the US that is on my bucket list of places I want to visit. Your images are inspirational.

And, as for ACR in CS6 it is a very significant ] improvement over previous versions. I've been using it for a couple of weeks and marvel what the software guys at Adobe have been able to do to with the shadow slider.

I've been going thru some of my older images that, up to now, I've not been able to correct to my satisfaction.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 8:31 AM   #4

I just love it when you two (Greg & Zig) get together talking about ACR Adobe, it is going to cost me money one day!

Though I am happy with the software I use it is statements like this (......that, up to now, I've not been able to correct to my satisfaction) that keep edging me closer to trying ACR/CS.

I've so many (hopeless files) it would be a miracle if any software were to help and I keep thinking I want to try to find out, when what I really need to do is follow the examples of you both and make better files in the beginning.

What will be fun is to see what the two of you come up with for images later this year, I'll bet shadows won't be a problem from the Cape in August!

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 8:45 AM   #5

Yes, Greg and Zig are whizzes and I've been trying to figure out why I lost my editing screen in PSE 10. My luminance, exposure, sharpness, etc, etc, all dissappeared and I don't see any tab or anything to get it back. Maybe it's time I go back to a freebie software that's easier to use and I will at least be able to change the common parameters. PSE 10 is by far the most frustrating software I have ever used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
I just love it when you two (Greg & Zig) get together talking about ACR Adobe, it is going to cost me money one day!

Though I am happy with the software I use it is statements like this (......that, up to now, I've not been able to correct to my satisfaction) that keep edging me closer to trying ACR/CS.

I've so many (hopeless files) it would be a miracle if any software were to help and I keep thinking I want to try to find out, when what I really need to do is follow the examples of you both and make better files in the beginning.

What will be fun is to see what the two of you come up with for images later this year, I'll bet shadows won't be a problem from the Cape in August!
Old Jun 12, 2012, 8:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post

Hi Bob,
Well, you have the ability to get on Adobe's special offer e-mailing list. They are always running specials as well as trial downloads as a means to entice the undecided to upgrade.

You're most definitely right about one thing. If the original file has blown highlights, no software will bring back what isn't there. But, I've found that you can pull out the details in an image with very dark shadows as Greg has so very well illustrated.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 8:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Yes, Greg and Zig are whizzes and I've been trying to figure out why I lost my editing screen in PSE 10. My luminance, exposure, sharpness, etc, etc, all dissappeared and I don't see any tab or anything to get it back. Maybe it's time I go back to a freebie software that's easier to use and I will at least be able to change the common parameters. PSE 10 is by far the most frustrating software I have ever used.
Hi James,
PSE10 is very frustrating, when trying to access Adobe's Camera RAW. It is a confusing process when trying to edit jpegs in ACR.

You have to remember to go to: File> open as>file name.
then choose process as a RAW file found in a window in the bottom portion of the screen before pressing the open button.

In CS5 or 6, the process is much more straightforward.

Zig

Old Jun 12, 2012, 9:02 AM   #8

I tried that and it worked. Wonder why I never had to do that before. Yes you are correct, it is confusing/frustrating. I loved my Canon DPP software and felt really comfortable with it but it won't open Oly RAW files even though I have the Oly RAW codec installed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi James,
PSE10 is very frustrating, when trying to access Adobe's Camera RAW. It is a confusing process when trying to edit jpegs in ACR.

You have to remember to go to: File> open as>file name.
then choose process as a RAW file found in a window in the bottom portion of the screen before pressing the open button.

In CS5 or 6, the process is much more straightforward.

Zig
Old Jun 12, 2012, 9:02 AM   #9

Greg,

I keep looking at your images taken with the 12mm lens. The perspective
that the 12mm offers is nothing short of astounding.

I hate posts like this as it makes me want to go out and buy one.

Zig

Old Jun 12, 2012, 9:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Greg,

I hate posts like this as it makes me want to go out and buy one.

Zig
You won't have that feeling when you look at my posts.