Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jun 19, 2012, 2:53 PM   #1

Default more 12-50 macro shots

Here are two more shots I've grabbed in the last couple of days with the 12-50 in macro mode hiking through some of the parks around Pittsburgh (handheld). Nothing exotic, but just trying to get good photos.

Wish I got the focus better on the butterfly...the focus is sharper on the top of the wings, but not as much near the head and legs. I read that for these types of shots, its better to have a higher F setting for better depth of focus?
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2012, 5:32 PM   #2

Correct. The problem you run into at smaller apertures like f8 or f11 is, slower shutter speeds, which is also not ideal for subjects that move like butterflies.

The E-M5 is definitely the answer for shooting macros with the 12-50. You can utilize the third option of smaller apertures and you can keep the shutter speeds up because the camera really performs at higher ISO settings. There's no way I want to use my E-P3 above ISO 800 for macros. I have used it at 1000 and 1250 but I think the small details do start suffering because I really have to juke up the noise filter in Adobe Camera RAW. From what I've seen, I'd have no problem going to ISO 2000 or 2500 shooting handheld macros with the 12-50 mounted on the E-M5.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 9:29 AM   #3

Greg, which slider is the noise filter in ACR?
Old Jun 20, 2012, 9:50 AM   #4

Hi, James. If I recall you are using Elements 10. The slider is the same name, but it's not under tha same tab where mine is in ACR of Photoshop CS6. It's called luminence noise and I think you see it in the primary tab of ACR when you open up raw image files in Elements. That tab does in ACR to raw files what you use the noise filter in the camera to do to in-camera JPEGs.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Hi, James. If I recall you are using Elements 10. The slider is the same name, but it's not under tha same tab where mine is in ACR of Photoshop CS6. It's called luminence noise and I think you see it in the primary tab of ACR when you open up raw image files in Elements. That tab does in ACR to raw files what you use the noise filter in the camera to do to in-camera JPEGs.
Yes Greg, I'm using PSE 10 and I do see that slider. Wondered what it was for. Thanks
Old Jun 20, 2012, 4:44 PM   #6

Not using that slider is the equivalent of shooting JPEG with the in-camera noise filter turned off. Play with it. You should see an improvement in image noise. I have a default setting of 20 on that slider for my E-P3 files I capture at ISO 200. As the ISO rises, you should need to progressively add more. How much more is just a matter of personal taste. The "20" value I use at ISO 200 is my own suggestion someone else might think is too conservative or crazy high. Just depends on one's own aversion to noise or noise control.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 4:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Not using that slider is the equivalent of shooting JPEG with the in-camera noise filter turned off. Play with it. You should see an improvement in image noise. I have a default setting of 20 on that slider for my E-P3 files I capture at ISO 200. As the ISO rises, you should need to progressively add more. How much more is just a matter of personal taste. The "20" value I use at ISO 200 is my own suggestion someone else might think is too conservative or crazy high. Just depends on one's own aversion to noise or noise control.
I'll make note of it since I still don't know how to set a default. I definitely need to read more.