Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:05 PM   #1

Default Sometimes It's Just The Little Things...

Just those little, annoying things about how a camera operates, or how the options are set out that are just nagging because you wish you could just do ONE MORE THING or had one last sliver of room. The E-M5 solves a couple of the more annoying things for me.

Whether it was the E-PL1, E-PL2 or E-P3, there are certain things I happen like to see in the finder when I'm shooting. I love the live histogram. Absolutely do not want to do without it, and while the digital level is nice, I'd really RATHER have grid lines in the finder so I have both reference lines I can use to keep things level and so I have a visual reference of the intersections outside dead center where I like to place a subject, since sometimes I can get a little tunnel-visioned and wind up putting things dead center where I didn't want them.

With the above three cameras I could have one, histogram or grids, but not both. Frustrating as hell to be honest. With the E-M5.....FINALLY....you can have both at the same time.

Mounting thread on the base of the camera. With the Pens, the mount to fix the camera to a tripod or mount a quick-release plate was just close enough to the darn battery door you had to remove the camera from the tripod or the mounting plate from the camera to either change a battery or card. Bob heard me complain about this once last weekend. The E-M5's mount is slightly off center, BUT, the battery door clears my tripod mounting plate and the SD card now (again, like the DSLR's) has a side-door for inserting or removing. Thank the lord.

Not really done much picture taking of note. Just getting all the settings I am familiar with set, and learning all the new ones, but I can say WOW, the files I have captured so far and run through ACR are quite amazing. The one thing I am seeing in Adobe Camera RAW, ISO 200 files need almost no noise filtering. I've used it in the 8-10 slider value, which is next to nothing. My E-P3 files I shot at ISO 400 in Paris I was applying a noise filter value of 25. That's at ISO 400.....

When I got home this evening I immediately went to the 75-300 M. Zuiko, went onto the deck of my third-floor apartment and started shooting some typical subjects where I like to see the type resolution I can achieve. I used shutter speed priority and set a higher than normal shutter speed and had ISO set to auto with a range of 200-4000 and shot a couple of trucks from across the street at 300mm, 1/1600 second shutter speed wide open at f6.7 and ISO 4000. I processed the file in ACR and only applied a setting of 35 on the noise filter slider. Just a point of reference, those low light shots in the Catacombes in Paris where I was shooting at ISO 800 I used a noise slider setting of 30 on the E-P3 files.

Here's a 100% crop of the license plate area. Definitely some grain-like noise is still there, but heck.....at ISO 4000.... I can live with that, and it does not take tweeking the noise filter just a little higher to completely eliminate it and the file still looks really, really nice.

The IS is a little mind-melting at 300mm. I have the finder IS set to turn on, on the half-press of the shutter release. It's like the finder jumps to attention on the half-press and the view at 300mm goes almost completely still. Pretty darn amazing. It reminds me very much of when I was using a Canon 10D DSLR and had the 100-400L lens with IS, except for the weight....

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jun 22, 2012 at 9:53 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:31 PM   #2

The FL600R is also a very nice flash with the E-M5.The flash's AF assist light, which does not work with the E-P3, works like a dream with the E-M5. It's a white light vs. the near-infrared beam on the FL50R when used with the DSLR's, but it does allow you to shoot with a lens like the 12-50mm in near total darkness with very fast AF, the AF assist has an excellent working distance and again, one of those nuisances with the Pens, when you have the flash mounted to the hot shoe, no eyelevel finder. I have to admit I do like bringing the camera up to my eye to shoot with a flash mounted.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:34 AM   #3

....dang, I gotta get this kitchen remodel out of the way, get back to 'WORK', save it all and hope by my birthday in March have enough $$$$.

You are in heaven again, I can tell... BTW, how do you like the black model with the silver lenses, gotta look awesome. Show us some pictures of the camera with the stuff attached.

For the level guides, I now cannot get along without them. Even when the guides show me level(s) I sometimes look at the camera and it just doesn't look level.

It would be nice to be able to select more than 1 of the EVF data.

I'm thinking of running up the street tomorrow evening to the Albertson's lot and take a look at the cars, with the 9-18. Granite, stone & stainless steel have me worn out.... lots more stressful than out looking for a pickup truck.

Oh yeah, moving the card away from the battery is great and offsetting the mount makes sense too. Did you order the grip-set?

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jun 22, 2012 at 12:42 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2012, 1:02 AM   #4

Not yet. The grip set is down the road. Don't see it in-stock virtually anywhere right now anyway. Kind-of like the original spare BLN1 batteries. This morning I did spring for the clone battery being sold by Best Batteries, which requires its' own charger. Hopefully it works well and I have it by Wednesday for the game that night. Using the 9 frame per second burst mode, I anticipate "a few" images that evening, especially if there's a lot of action around the bases.....and no one jumps up in front of me. They say it does work well, but there's just something about third-party batteries I'm not totally comfortable with. As soon as the OEM cells are available, I'll be getting a couple of them and the clone will be relegated to emergency status.

If I used the grip set, the outfit wouldn't fit in the Think Tank Retrospective 5 bag. I'm gonna play with the zoom setup this weekend. The E-M5, 12-50, 75-300 and 9-18. Got all of that in the Retrospective 5 bag right now, with the 45/1.8 in an attached lens case on one side and the FL600R in a flash case attached to the other side.

The silver lenses do look OK on the body and using this new sensor, should produce outstanding images.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jun 22, 2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 8:22 AM   #5

Hi Greg,

Glad you got the OM-D5 now. By the time you get here, you'll have mastered all there is to know about this little gem of a camera. I'll be happy to take advantage of that knowledge

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2012, 3:49 PM   #6

Congratulations on the new camera, sounds like it is shaping up to be quite good for you.

The high iso is ver nice. My epl2 is much noiser at 1600 then your shots at 4000
Old Jun 22, 2012, 3:53 PM   #7

Ditto with the E-P3. The difference in performance above ISO 400 is amazing, and you achieve excellent results at ISO 200-400 with little noise filtering.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:02 AM   #8

Sigh....... Congrats on your new camera Greg. Sure sounds like you love it.