Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:30 PM   #1

Default bike ride along the rivers of Pittsburgh

Went biking for 2 hours starting at around 7:30 pm. Most of the shots were taken around 8:45-9:30. I was shooting mostly in aperture priority mode and switching back to iauto to see what the camera wants to suggest. I edited the pictures a bit in Olympus Viewer 2, but I'm still new to it, so I didn't do much than noise filter of 10, and some contrast in the first 2 shots. I'm pretty happy with how they came out, but advice is definitely welcome or if I'm doing something completely wrong on the settings, let me know! Still shot in Jpeg mode LN...had so many other things I was fooling around with (on both my camera and my bike that I totally forgot to switch it again).

First three shots are the Monongahela and the last is the Allegheny.

1st: ISO 200 F 6.3 1/100

2nd: ISO 200, F6.3, 1/125 @ 50mm (cropped)

3rd: ISO 1000, F6.3, 1/100

4th: ISO 1600, f3.5, shutter 1/40

Last edited by drew881; Jun 24, 2012 at 11:33 PM.
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:40 PM   #2

PNC Park is one place where I would love to see a baseball game. I only comment because I see it in that last image! Good to see the Pirates doing so well this year. When I was a teenager they were one of the 2-3 best clubs in the National League. The Lumber Company. I may have to make that a road trip sometime over the next year or two.

Looks like an excellent biking trail. Some nice-looking foreground architecture to include in a sunset.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:42 PM   #3

Also here are the links to the larger images on flickr in case anyone wants to zoom in and see if they hold up:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7106/7...e00f4be3_k.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8162/7...c1639b26_k.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7257/7...2427ca50_k.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8001/7...512baaee_k.jpg
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
PNC Park is one place where I would love to see a baseball game. I only comment because I see it in that last image! Good to see the Pirates doing so well this year. When I was a teenager they were one of the 2-3 best clubs in the National League. The Lumber Company. I may have to make that a road trip sometime over the next year or two.

Looks like an excellent biking trail. Some nice-looking foreground architecture to include in a sunset.
I've only been to about 10 MLB stadiums, but of the ones I've been to it is by far the best as far as the views from the stadium and that is including PacBell in SF. I usually go to about 5-6 games a year, and haven't been yet this year. Maybe I don't want to jinx their recent success by going, but I'll get some shots if I go.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:49 PM   #5

Also, scrutiny is welcomed on all levels (settings I should have used, how I can clean it up better in post processing, recommended better equipment as far lenses go, etc). I'm pretty new at this, and aside from a years use with my Epl1, have only had a couple canon point and shoots.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 8:39 AM   #6

I'd try kicking up the EV to about +1 for a little more detail of the skyline. Other than that, they look real nice.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:09 AM   #7

Nice to see another Pittsburgher here.

Here's a shot of the Mazeroski statue in front of the park. Normally I don't like lightroom shenanigans, but I kind of like it here (others here might frown upon it). I'm pretty new at this so I'm sure there are some egregious issues with it.
(E-PL2, Panasonic 14mm)

SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 7:07 PM   #8

Drew, I like bridges and these are fun to look at for any amount of time and wonder about.

Sammy, ....never been a true pirates fan (old Cardinals guy here, now the Texas Rangers) but I do remember some of the Pirates greats and Bill Mazeroski at 2nd base was one of the best (Schoendienst was too) and oh that home run in the 1960 world series (heard it on the radio). Mazeroski's rookie year (1956) was the year I graduated high school.

Thanks for sharing the image, I like your art work with it, very well done.

The photo itself is a bit interesting in that most often it will be mentioned about the complete subject effect, but this image works so well with the trailing leg telling the viewer that Bill Mazeroski just entered the scene, and abruptly it grabs ones attention and directs vision to the youn Pirate. The image would not be as dynamic if the complete statue were in the frame IMO.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2012, 9:55 AM   #9

@Bob. You mean there is actually someone older than me on this forum.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 9:56 AM   #10

Sammy, I like what you did with that shot in PP, very nice.