Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jun 25, 2012, 9:41 AM   #1

Default Kenko Extension Tube Question

Will the tubes, say a 2x tube, bring the subject twice as close or do you need a tele-extender to do this? This would be used on my 35mm macro.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 9:51 AM   #2

You would need a 2x teleconverter to double the magnification, and that would come at the cost of two stops of light, so your 35mm f3.5 Zuiko would become a 70mm f7 lens.

The Kenko tubes do not do that. A teleconverter that doubles the focal length has glass elements that change the optical properties of the combination. The Kenko tubes are glass-less tubes that simply allow you to focus closer than the lens can go on its' own. Since the 35mm f3.5 Zuiko goes to life size (1:1) on its' own, the Kenko tubes really are not doing much for you. You would have to get so close to the subject in order to achieve focus the front element might almost touch the subject.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:00 AM   #3

Ah, that's what they do, allow closer focusing. I was sort of confused by the two. Thanks Greg.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:26 AM   #4

You will have 0 working room with the 35mm macro with a extension tube. Your lens will be right ontop of your subject, but gives you 1.6:1 macro capabilities.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:29 AM   #5

Thanks, the tubes are out.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 8:05 PM   #6

James, the ext-tubes work well with your 40-150! I've used that combination for some really great results against some very tiny, (i.e. 1/2 to 1/8 diameter) flower blooms and some really small critters.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
James, the ext-tubes work well with your 40-150! I've used that combination for some really great results against some very tiny, (i.e. 1/2 to 1/8 diameter) flower blooms and some really small critters.
Except Kenko tubes usually don't have electrical contacts..they're more for OM lenses, unlike the Oly EX-25.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:41 PM   #8

Mike, I actually was referencing the EX-25 which with an MMF-2 is what I use and have used with my FT 40-150 but the new m43 10+16 mm ext set which Greg uses do have contacts.

For James' 40-150 (FT or m43) there is ext-tube possibility, that is all I was referencing.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jun 26, 2012 at 6:28 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefellh View Post
Except Kenko tubes usually don't have electrical contacts..they're more for OM lenses, unlike the Oly EX-25.
Except for these Kenko tubes, which are the ones I have, do have all the contacts just like the EX25 and everything works, including AF with Micro lenses, which the EX25 does not...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...list&A=details

With the E-M5 and 75-300 M. Zuiko plus the 10mm tube..

ISO 2000..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jun 26, 2012 at 12:59 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 6:31 AM   #10

DANG!!!!!!

I cant stop looking at the first of these.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com