Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jun 27, 2012, 11:19 PM   #1

Default 9 frames per second

Was testing out the sports mode today in the SCN function while playing tennis. Here is one set of results (I didn't take the picture, for obvious reasons that I am hitting the ball). I'm sure a faster lens would be better for this application, but I'm pretty happy with the results.

A cropped, close up shot:

drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2012, 11:21 PM   #2

The SCN mode selected 1/640 shutter @ f5.2, ISO 200 for these shots.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 8:51 AM   #3

....well, that set is impressive IMO and captured the action well.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:37 AM   #4

Fast burst rates are definitely beneficial. What the series shows is timing is still critical. Even at the existing frame rate, the "money" shot with the ball being struck or just after being struck is still missing from the sequence. So, while frames per second are a huge benefit - the sequence shows that "spray and pray" is still a poor technique. I get the person taking the photo probably doesn't know how to shoot sports. But this sequence offers a great teaching point for those of us on this site that are photographers. Thanks for sharing.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Fast burst rates are definitely beneficial. What the series shows is timing is still critical. Even at the existing frame rate, the "money" shot with the ball being struck or just after being struck is still missing from the sequence. So, while frames per second are a huge benefit - the sequence shows that "spray and pray" is still a poor technique. I get the person taking the photo probably doesn't know how to shoot sports. But this sequence offers a great teaching point for those of us on this site that are photographers. Thanks for sharing.
Yeah, we didn't experiment too much with it (did 3 tries total with me taking one shot, and him taking two tries), and to be honest, we weren't trying to get that frame specifically, although in retrospect that would be a cool shot to have. If anything, I was more interested in seeing how blurred the motion on the racquet would be.