Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jun 28, 2012, 12:45 AM   #1

Default 5 Frames in the same second

These were 5 frames of an 8 image burst, all captured at the exact same time, 8:09pm and 24 seconds, at ISO 2500 and 270mm with the 75-300 M. Zuiko and the E-M5..

Jim Leyland, one pitch from yanking Fister, at ISO 6400 and 300mm..

The Tigers Bullpen area and surrounding fans, at ISO 6400..

So, this is how they remember it all. Pre-game at ISO 1600 and 194mm..

Conversing with the fans at ISO 1600 and 117mm. It was 6:28pm when I captured this. You can see that either looking at the EXIF data OR, at 100% looking at the face of her watch..

Probably more than one step too many, but this was captured at 1/1000 second at 300mm, wide open at f6.7 and ISO 8000. Ian Kinsler's name is stitched into his glove and it's clearly legible..

240mm at ISO 2500..

Roy Oswalt at 281mm and ISO 2500. This was from a 9 image burst I captured of his delivery. At 9 frames per second, you don't miss much.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jun 28, 2012 at 8:49 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2012, 5:08 AM   #2

Very impressive series of high ISO images. All crystal clear without noise.

I did get a kick out of the frame showing the photogs. with their giant lenses. They all seemed to be looking at you with your little OM-D5.

BTW, AF system seems a tad improved in the OM-D5 over previous Pens.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 7:36 AM   #3

.....that's it! The kitchen remodel (here) will be finished the 2nd week of July and I am saying we don't need the Prius for now, I still love my HEMI and the money goes for an Oly OMD kit by GC.

A lot of MLB images over the past seasons from you Greg and these are by far the best yet.

At 150-200 feet for the lens reach at the hi-ISO this set confirms a lot of what has been said about that and the image quality. I like that the burst speed is high too, one question on that; how, is the EVF refresh rate for action bursts? The one of the bullpen is just nearly unbelievable, that one is a WOW at 450 ft.

I looked for you in the first inning when Hamilton launched his bat... usually they replay those a couple times but last night it was just one time and too quick.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jun 28, 2012 at 2:32 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 9:19 AM   #4

Wow, these are amazing. It really complicates my decision on where to drop my money next.
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 9:23 AM   #5

Also, what equipment did you bring besides the camera and the lens? Do they allow tripods for fans, and even if, where would you set it up once you are already in your seat?
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 9:53 AM   #6

Smile

Thanks, guys.

The EVF refresh rate is really very good. The 9 frame bursts I captured here were with a static camera position, so no problems. If I were, say, shooting at the horse races it could have been more problematic because there was some winking out, part of which was my fault. Fortunately, Lone Star Park has taken care of that and it's not a problem . The camera comes with the default "standard" frame rate for the EVF. There is a high-speed frame rate for less lag, but the lag using the standard setting is for all intentional purposes virtually non-existant. Using the higher rate will probably just burn through a battery faster and I never enabled it.

Speaking of batteries, didn't even need the second battery. I can tell from looking at the first and last frames I shot 145 frames while at the game (left after the 6th inning.....work night), did tons of reviewing and deleting due to bursts where "nothing" happened, and the battery still showed 3 bars at the end of the evening.

I've set up sharpening and noise profiles for the standard ISO settings (200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200 and 6400) and applied those to each of these. If I was working on an ISO 2500 file as one example, I tried both 1600 and 3200 and went with the setting I liked best, which typically was the lower number to not overdo the noise filtering. I don't personally have an issue with seeing some noise once you get over ISO 1600-2000, and the noise profile of this sensor is not bad.

The one thing I wish I had done more was, using the smaller AF box. There's one or two examples, like the shot of Jim Leyland in the dugout, where he looks just very slightly soft when the image is enlarged, and the back wall looks (to me) much sharper. I know it's not from movement because I was using shutter speed priority and kept the shutter speed pretty much pegged at 1/1000 second all night, which drove a lot of the higher ISO settings. Using the smaller AF box would have nailed the AF exactly where I meant to. It was not a problem in places like out at second base where the background was 250 feet away.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jun 28, 2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew881 View Post
Also, what equipment did you bring besides the camera and the lens? Do they allow tripods for fans, and even if, where would you set it up once you are already in your seat?
That was it. The Rangers do allow monopods if you use them from your seat. I have seen them. There's this one guy who sits in the slightly higher section right above where I sat last night. I have seen him in the exact same seat for YEARS and he was there again last night in his row one seat with his Canon 1D series DSLR and what looked like a 300mm f2.8 EF lens on a monopod that was clamped to the railing. The primary concern they have it, is someone messing with someone else's ability to view the game. One would not be allowed to shoot from the isle and block someone else's view. Otherwise, I don't think the Rangers organization has a problem with just about anything other than flash. I've not seen tripods and would not be surprised if they were not allowed.

I had IS engaged, but I also had the setting enabled where IS was dis-engaged on shooting bursts since it will mess with a 9 FPS burst and is best left off. Fortunately, there an app(setting) for that. Sitting instead of standing, it's relatively easy to hold a camera pretty still, even shooting at 300mm, but the added IS of the E-M5 meant the finder was, absolutely still. Framing was really, really easy it was so steady.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jun 28, 2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:44 AM   #8

Absolutely beautiful shots, especially at that high an ISO. Now I'm jealous. I looked for you but I didn't see anyone with a propeller beanie on. I do like the photo with the long blonde with the pink top who was texting. Wonder what her number is.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:46 AM   #9

Greg - shots 1 & 2 are definitely the keepers here. Nice timing and final framing and certainly enough detail for any type of media use. Well done on those two!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 12:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Absolutely beautiful shots, especially at that high an ISO. Now I'm jealous. I looked for you but I didn't see anyone with a propeller beanie on. I do like the photo with the long blonde with the pink top who was texting. Wonder what her number is.
You shoulda seen the one sitting next to me....actually all four in the seats to my right . It was HOT (temperature-wise, 100 degree game-time temps and still 94 when I left at 9:30pm) and....we'll just say they and about 500 more in my area of the seating bowl were all dressed accordingly.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jun 28, 2012 at 12:06 PM.