Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jul 3, 2012, 7:31 AM   #1

Default So, the sensor is made by Sony....

There's a post at DPReview and a link to an article where an Olympus bigwig has finally admitted the sensor in the E-M5 is a Sony product, not Panasonic. Wherever it came from, it's become very obvious to me it's well beyond the capabilities anything I have seen in an Olympus camera so it's not all that surprising.

Last night I was procesing one of the files from this past Saturday I was originally not going to do anything with. I had exposed for the highlights and much of the scene was in dark, dark shadows and looked almost black, but I thought I'd go ahead and give it a try. In ACR I slid the blacks slider to +35, the shadows slider WAY over to +75, the image still looked a little dark so I clicked on the Targeted Adjustment Tool, pointed it at the darker planter on the front right and slid that value up to +52.

At this point if this were a file from the E-P3, even at ISO 200, the dark areas would be exposed and noisy as heck, but this file still looks clean as can be with very minimal noise filtering and close to how I remember seeing it before shooting. I might even open this one up again later and see how much more I can raise the shadow values. Pretty incredible for a file from an Olympus camera.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jul 3, 2012 at 10:56 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2012, 7:43 AM   #2

Couldn't wait.....had to try it some more, so here's the same file with the Blacks slider kicked up some more to 70, and the Shadows slider all the way up to 95.....I've never gone that high with the Shadows slider.

The noise filter is still pegged at the default setting of 20 for my ISO 200 files. Amazing..

Old Jul 3, 2012, 8:13 AM   #3

Hi Greg,

The sensor employed in the E-M5 is indeed quite impressive. Your shots continue to impress me with the amount of detail that can be pulled out of the shadows.

Oly users that have stuck with the brand have been rewarded with the best digital camera Olympus has ever made.

By the way, in addition to what you've already done, I suggest you try the shadows/highlight tool found in the adjustments folder in CS6. I think you might be happy with the results.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2012, 8:36 AM   #4

Hi, Zig.

I started playing with the adjustment brushes a little while I was using Lightroom 4 and waiting for CS6. I've used it a little in CS6 but not enough yet to get a real feel for it. Basically allows you to work in layers in ACR instead of processing a file twice and using Layers in Photoshop to put the best of the two together. Pretty heady stuff.

After processing the files at home and liking the results best in the second file on my home screen, I'm now looking at the two here at the office and the best results based on how I'm seeing it here on a very uncalibrated LCD would probably be something between the two above images, but I do believe it's very close to how my own eyes saw it at the time. Everything always looks lighter up here on this screen, but the second file still not bad, and very clean.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jul 3, 2012 at 8:42 AM.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 8:42 AM   #5

Quote:
I think you might be happy with the results.
....if he becomes just a l'il bit happier than he now is, well........ 'GIDDY'

From all the EM5 files I've seen, the sensor data are the most impressive of the camera and override the ergonomics which is the first time ever to be the case.

Gotta figure a way to have one, or the next gen, someday.

Greg, you should see these two on an APPLE retina display.... iPAD 3 and the iMAC 27 is truly GOOD!

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jul 3, 2012 at 8:45 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2012, 8:59 AM   #6

I'd like to see the original un-edited file...!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2012, 9:10 AM   #7

well now Sony makes sensors for Olympus, Sony, Pentax and Nikon DSLRs... seems like they sure do know what they are doing.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 9:18 AM   #8

"Giddy" definitely would be the appropriate term.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 9:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
I'd like to see the original un-edited file...!
Tonight when I get home I will reset the file in ACR to the default settings and post the resulting JPEG.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 9:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Hi, Zig.

I started playing with the adjustment brushes a little while I was using Lightroom 4 and waiting for CS6. I've used it a little in CS6 but not enough yet to get a real feel for it. Basically allows you to work in layers in ACR instead of processing a file twice and using Layers in Photoshop to put the best of the two together. Pretty heady stuff.

After processing the files at home and liking the results best in the second file on my home screen, I'm now looking at the two here at the office and the best results based on how I'm seeing it here on a very uncalibrated LCD would probably be something between the two above images, but I do believe it's very close to how my own eyes saw it at the time. Everything always looks lighter up here on this screen, but the second file still not bad, and very clean.
Hi Greg,
I'm sure you know this, but in case someone else reading my post gets the wrong idea about my suggestion;
By no means am I implying that the adjusted file, in any way, looks other than what it is- a very clean and sharp image without moire or noise of any sort.
I suggested the shadows/highlight tool as I'm constantly amazed at the add'l
detail one can pull out using it without detrimental effect.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote