Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jul 5, 2012, 7:43 PM   #1

Default Olympus summer deals!

https://us.buyolympus.com/special_of...edirect_offers

they're having a sale with $100 rebate on most lenses.

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image...142665023_.pdf

Of note on the 4/3 side;

- 70-300mm 4/3 lens is $299 after rebate

- 35mm macro is $179 after rebate

on the m4/3 side the

- 40-150mm for $199.99 (an additional $100 off making it only $99 if you buy a Pen camera w/it )
- 14-150mm for $499
- 75-300mm for $799
and $100 off the e-p3 and $50 off the e-pl3
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:30 AM   #2

It's amazing to me the E-P3 has maintained it's original price for so long. I guess it may also be a good indication we're still a ways down the road before any updated Pen models.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jul 6, 2012 at 12:16 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2012, 1:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
It's amazing to me the E-P3 has maintained it's original price for so long. I guess it may also be a good indication we're still a ways down the road before any updated Pen models.
The E-P3 is at an interesting price point -- it is the Pen "Plus" in the pen line-up.
Is it worth the $300 premium of the E-PL3, not for me to say. But at 899 it is so close to the OM-D in price that someone new to the system could see the OM-D as within their price range at $200 more. Or if an existing E-PLx user wants to move up, the OM-D without lens is only $100 more than the E-P3.

I think you are right about the road to updated Pen models being a way off. And what could they offer in an E-P4 that wouldn't take away sales from the OM-D?

Of course, having said all that, on Monday Oly will announce the new E-P4 with the same sensor from the OM-D...
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2012, 3:35 PM   #4

The form factor difference between the Pens and OM-D models is enough I could see simply having a Pen with the same Sony sensor would be enough for some to warrant buying over an OM-D model, but you are right as far as what the E-P3 costs today vs. the E-M5.

If one wants an eyelevel finder, the E-M5 with the built-in finder is shorter than the E-P3 fitted with the VF-2 finder. I use the Think Tank Retrospective 5 bag and put the body in the center section, face down with the 25mm f1.4 and hood fitted. The Pen with the VF-2 barely fits and sometimes the finder starts slipping off from jostling around while being carried, but the E-M5 fitted with the same lens slips right in all the way, and with the finder being built-in, no worries about it ever falling off.

On the other hand, the VF-2 makes shooting at very low angles or straight up way easier since the finder can be tilted up. I now have the VF-2 in the bag as a right angle finder for my E-M5 for this very type shooting as I prefer an eyelevel option over using the back LCD. Once fitted in the E-M5 shoe, the VF-2 bypasses the built-in finder, making it a great accessory to have for either series and easy to use on the E-M5. Now on it's 4th generation of Olympus micro cameras for me (E-PL1, E-PL2, E-P3 and E-M5) just goes to show how good a design the VF-2 was from the beginning.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jul 6, 2012 at 5:20 PM.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 8:28 PM   #5

Interesting points about the e-p3 seems like a weird item in light of the omd now. On the omd viewfinder and related to this sale the vf3 is on sale and although lower resolution it would probably still work very well as a right angle (or just angle-able) view finder if you were getting an omd and didnt already have a vf2.

I have a feeling that olympus is not in a position to build an e-p4 (or e-pl4) with the omd sensor. Being a sony sensor as we now know the bottle neck is going to be sony i bet. That and olympus probably has a pile of the 12.3mp sensors to finish off. Question i have is will olympus build its own sensor after they stop building the 12.3mp?
Old Jul 7, 2012, 1:39 AM   #6

I don't see Olympus being in any position to develop and make their own sensors. I was just reading an article about how much in back taxes they owe for their accounting "mishaps" and I'm just hoping they come out of it still in business on their own making cameras. I'm afraid they're stuck relying on outside vendors for sensor technology, and they could do a lot worse than Sony. For the past 7-9 years, they have had it worse.