Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jul 11, 2012, 5:45 PM   #1

Default And the E-P2+35mm macro saga continues

I continue to work towards putting a set of flower images together using the E-P2 along with the 35mm macro. The goal is to have about 15 to 18 framed images or enough to have a small gallery showing. The frame size is 18 x 24, so all the images are printed out at 12 x 18.

Here are a few new images, added to the others that have been posted:

All have been post processed in CS6 after first having had the files adjusted in
ACR7.1 . The majority of the work is done in ACR7.1 with the vibrance, saturation adjusted in CS6. Finally, the image is treated using the oil painting filter and lastly cropped to desired size.

Would appreciate any and all comments. But, also looking for feedback on the affects of the oil painting filter. I happen to like the result- but then I'm prejudiced.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2012, 8:35 AM   #2

The depth of focus on these are great. What apertures were you using? Outdoors or indoors?

The wind never seems to stop blowing down here. It's been forever since I had a nice, calm day to be out shooting closeups, so I am rarely in a position to be shooting stopped down much at all. The resulting slow shutter speeds and wind combination aren't conducive to sharp images

These are beautiful, Zig. Really nice. The filter is very well done. The effect is there, but does not take away the fine detail.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:09 AM   #3

They are beautiful pics, but to my eyes the foilage doesn't seem to have the same effect as in the flowers and the flowers look more like they were shot at a high ISO more so than an oil painting effect. So sorry Zig but that's just my opinion keeping in mind that I do not have the skill-set you have. I'd love to see these without the oil painting filter and I may have a different viewpoint after comparing. Mmm, I wonder how many members are cursing me.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
The depth of focus on these are great. What apertures were you using? Outdoors or indoors?

The wind never seems to stop blowing down here. It's been forever since I had a nice, calm day to be out shooting closeups, so I am rarely in a position to be shooting stopped down much at all. The resulting slow shutter speeds and wind combination aren't conducive to sharp images

These are beautiful, Zig. Really nice. The filter is very well done. The effect is there, but does not take away the fine detail.
Hi Greg,

The aperture I usually start with is F8 then step down further depending on the
width of the subject. I always leave my ISO set to ISO100 which then forces me to use god awful slow shutter speeds 1/5 sec or slower depending on lighting.
Bear in mind, that I'm usually shooting flowers on cloudy, overcast days, or flowers in total shade. I really want as much detail as possible so the lack of sun is actually a benefit.

With all these settings and slow shutter, the tripod is a must. That, and choosing subjects shielded from the wind, which is as much of a challenge as proper lighting.

Sorry that you can't see the meta data files as the oil painting filter somehow strips away that data.

and finally, thanks for taking the time to look and comment.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
They are beautiful pics, but to my eyes the foilage doesn't seem to have the same effect as in the flowers and the flowers look more like they were shot at a high ISO more so than an oil painting effect. So sorry Zig but that's just my opinion keeping in mind that I do not have the skill-set you have. I'd love to see these without the oil painting filter and I may have a different viewpoint after comparing. Mmm, I wonder how many members are cursing me.
Jim,
Thanks for looking and commenting. I'll try and download a file that doesn't have the oil painting filter applied.

One thing I've neglected to post earlier AND this is a biggie, I'm printing these on a photo metallic paper whose effects I can't reproduce on the web.
Combining the very high contrast of the photo metallic paper and oil painting filter results in a very unique print. One that is: you either love it or hate it.

No need to apologize for anything said. I posted these for peoples comments.
My belief is that if you can't take criticism, don't post.

Besides, life would be dull if we always agreed.

Zig

Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:42 AM   #6

One thing I've neglected to post earlier AND this is a biggie, I'm printing these on a photo metallic paper whose effects I can't reproduce on the web.
Combining the very high contrast of the photo metallic paper and oil painting filter results in a very unique print. One that is: you either love it or hate it.

I guess that would change the appearance quite a bit. Didn't know you were going to be doing this.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Greg,

The aperture I usually start with is F8 then step down further depending on the
width of the subject. I always leave my ISO set to ISO100 which then forces me to use god awful slow shutter speeds 1/5 sec or slower depending on lighting.
Bear in mind, that I'm usually shooting flowers on cloudy, overcast days, or flowers in total shade. I really want as much detail as possible so the lack of sun is actually a benefit.

With all these settings and slow shutter, the tripod is a must. That, and choosing subjects shielded from the wind, which is as much of a challenge as proper lighting.

Sorry that you can't see the meta data files as the oil painting filter somehow strips away that data.

and finally, thanks for taking the time to look and comment.

Zig
A lot of people think I'm nuts when I tell them I prefer shooting on overcast days. This time of the year, those are few and far between so I try and make my trips to the favorite spots during morning or late afternoon hours when I can find a few spots of shade and subject.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:15 AM   #8

Default for James

Hi James,

As you asked, the following is an image of the summer azaleas without filter.

Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:46 AM   #9

....just a break from the turmoil here, beautiful Zig. I surely would be proud to build a collection as well done as yours. I really like the filter effect.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:07 PM   #10

Beautiful Zig.