Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jul 13, 2012, 1:40 PM   #1

Default How Much (or little) High ISO Noise Can You Stand?

Last night I went back to 19 of my files from the baseball game I captured with the E-M5, re-opened the raw files in ACR and lowered the luminence noise filtering applied to see how much (or little) I could stand and still be happy with the results.

Just to give a baseline here, the luminence noise slider runs from -0- (none applied) to 100 (maximum luminence noise filtering), and the standard value I have always use on E-P3 files captured at ISO 200 is in the 20-25 range, rising from there as the ISO increased. ACR provides a default 25 setting on color noise filtering and I left that slider in it's default position.

The 19 files I re-processed were all captured between ISO's 1250 and 6400 and are the first 19 files currently loaded in my 75-300 M. Zuiko folder..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/Other/...4551&k=V7nx5cr

The MOST luminence noise filtering I applied to any of those was 30 which is, to me, an incredibly low amount for an ISO 5000-6400 file, pretty darn low for anything down to as low as ISO 1600 and about what I typically use on E-P3 files at ISO 400.

Grain? Yes, there's grain there to see, but it is a very fine grain structure without the smudgy, blocked up look you'd get with the Pens at the really high (ISO 3200 and above) ISO levels and the images to me look great, often with little to no visible noise/grain looking at enlargements as large as the X3Large Smugmug size, or just one step down from a full resolution, 100% look. I might even need to go back and look at sharpening amounts and probably can eliminate some of the grainy-ness just making a sharpening tweek lowering the amounts applied. Somewhere there's a compromise and I think I'm getting close to where I want to be.

I've actually started processing ISO 200-400 files from the E-M5 with no luminence noise filtering and I am liking the results very much.

ISO 5000..

ISO 6400. Check out the brand name (white on white) on the white portion of Mike Maddux's shoes. Clearly legible. Using previous models, detail like that would have been smudged to oblivion..

ISO 1600-2000 files look as clean to me as ISO 400 files from the E-P3..

ISO 2500..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jul 13, 2012 at 5:20 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2012, 1:02 PM   #2

Those are great, I'd certainly be happy with the results. Fielder is sure a big boy isn't he. Why do you keep teasing us with your E-M5.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 1:14 PM   #3

Wow. I like grain. These files have a lovely grain -- just enough so as not to clump and block out detail. And at ISO settings that would have me giddy. Here I am exploring settings up to 640 on my vintage E-PL1 and you are shooting at 6400, beyond my wildest comprehension. As James said, your teasing us with your E-M5. Keep it up. Enjoying every image and your discussions on post processing.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2012, 7:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Those are great, I'd certainly be happy with the results. Fielder is sure a big boy isn't he. Why do you keep teasing us with your E-M5.
Like father, like son. Cecil Fielder was one big dude, too. Son didn't have a chance to be anything but.

As big as he looks in pictures......he looks even bigger in person.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:06 PM   #5

Oh, I have watched quite a few games at the old Tiger Stadium when Cecil played and he is a big guy. Too bad Prince and his father do not get along.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:15 AM   #6

so here's a shot taken at ISO 1600 with the E-PL2 and 70-300mm lens in shutter priority 1/500

This is on the edge of what I can accept as far as High ISO Noise, I have a feeling the sensor in the OM-D EM-5 would eat this shot for lunch though (sigh)

Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:01 AM   #7

At the size posted, I certainly see little to not like. Noise/grain at this size are barely viewable on my screen. Maybe feather detail would be better rendered on the E-M5 sensor. I've not been down that road yet with it, but the high ISO shots from the ballgame do have very well retained hair and minute other detail often blurred away by ISO 3200 when I was using the Olympus DSLR's to shoot this type action, and I never ventured above ISO 3200 for sure.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 4:22 PM   #8

Greg yes I like the shot very much and I am admittedly guilty of pixel peeping... and even pixel peeping the grainy-ness of this shot is confined to the shadows and the black feathers but it is just there and it is a balancing act I find to get the most detail out while applying NR and sharpening at the same time and this ISO 1600 on telephoto with the E-PL2 is the limit for me.

Also remember that the E-P3 has a generation newer (tweaked) version of the sensor in the E-PL2, specifically the max ISO was increased from 6,400 to 12,800.