Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:22 AM   #1

Default Some Chihuly Glass Images

From this weekend at the Arboretum with the E-M5.

With the 75-300 M. Zuiko..

The 45mm f1.8..

And the 9-18 M. Zuiko..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2012, 6:18 AM   #2

Great images!
I am most impressed by the images using the 75-300mm lens.

I would love to see the sculptures in the process of making these.

The E-M5 continues to intrigue me. I'm just not sure what I would gain over my present combination of the E-P2 for stills and the D7000 for BIF. Noise and high ISO are certainly improved over the E-P2, but for what I shoot with mine, that doesn't come into play. I think I'll have to wait and when available, get my hands on one to try it out.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:29 AM   #3

very cool, I really like number 4 with the water in the background gives a very cool effect. Number 2 uses the compression of the zoom nicely with the different angles of the individual glass pieces, although I kinda wished the whole thing was in frame, not being there though I will trust your judgement. I also like the whimsical nature of the boats full of glass in the final shot with the 9-18mm. Thanks so much for sharing.

there was a special that used to air from time to time called CHIHULY OVER VENICE, which showcased an exhibit/installation he did in Venice. Was very cool. Here is his site where you can watch some videos of his process.

http://www.chihuly.com/
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Great images!
I am most impressed by the images using the 75-300mm lens.

I would love to see the sculptures in the process of making these.

The E-M5 continues to intrigue me. I'm just not sure what I would gain over my present combination of the E-P2 for stills and the D7000 for BIF. Noise and high ISO are certainly improved over the E-P2, but for what I shoot with mine, that doesn't come into play. I think I'll have to wait and when available, get my hands on one to try it out.
The 75-300 with the E-M5 is now a standard part of what I carry every day, upposed to being more of a specialty item when I was using it with the E-P3. Being able to set auto ISO for 3200 at the high end and just letting the camera go anywhere it needs up to that limit any time is quite liberating.

For your needs, I think what you have is what you need. If you don't get your hands on an E-M5 over the next couple of weeks, you'll definitely have an opportunity to try mine as much as you like while I'm up there.

I'm also really liking the Kenko auto tubes more and more with the 75-300 for closeups. Some non-chihuly stuff from Sunday morning..

This first image I was in a low area that was being misted, so there's a veil of mist over these blooms as I was shooting with the 75-300 and the 10mm Kenko tube..

The areas where I pick this type subject out is usually shaded, meaning higher ISO's with the slower 75-300, but ISO 1600 is nothing for the E-M5..

286mm was needed to get at this bloom in a pond..

This next image was just far enough away, but still too close for the closest focus distance (5 feet at any focal length beyond the 75mm setting. At 75mm, you can focus to just under 3 feet) of the 75-300 so I was using the 10mm Kenko tube with the lens zoomed to 100mm, and I spot metered the highlights.

This last image was captured with the 45mm f1.8 at f2.8 and very near the closest focus distance I could do before having to start using a tube..

Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
very cool, I really like number 4 with the water in the background gives a very cool effect. Number 2 uses the compression of the zoom nicely with the different angles of the individual glass pieces, although I kinda wished the whole thing was in frame, not being there though I will trust your judgement. I also like the whimsical nature of the boats full of glass in the final shot with the 9-18mm. Thanks so much for sharing.

there was a special that used to air from time to time called CHIHULY OVER VENICE, which showcased an exhibit/installation he did in Venice. Was very cool. Here is his site where you can watch some videos of his process.

http://www.chihuly.com/

Thanks for the link.

The Arboretum has been really crowded the past several weeks with this exhibit, and it's going to continue through the first week in November. The one thing I want to do is get in for a night viewing with everything lit up, but I need to wait until the Fall when it's actually dark well before 9:30pm. They close at 10pm during the night showings, meaning you only have about 30 minutes of actual darkness after the 15 or so minutes where you are in the cool, "blue" time period just before you lose virtually all ambient light. The Arboretum is really spread out, so right now you only have a chance to capture a very limited number of pieces once the sun is completely down before they hustle you out of the park at 10pm.

During the day, it is virtually impossible to shoot the entirety of most of the exhibits without including the gaggle of people surrounding it, which was why I resorted Sunday morning to picking out interesting areas within some of the pieces and filling the frame with the 75-300. You could spend most of a day shooting many of the pieces at multiple angles and get all sorts of different perspectives that look nothing alike.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jul 16, 2012 at 1:42 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
T
During the day, it is virtually impossible to shoot the entirety of most of the exhibits without including the gaggle of people surrounding it.
My mom was in Dallas and went to this exhibit around the time you posted your first set from there. A pretty good chance you might be in her photos, because she wasn't that great at blocking people out of the frame.
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:34 PM   #7

Yes, if youre trying to shoot each complete exhibit, blocking out everyone is pretty much an impossible and frustrating exercise, which was why I resorted to doing what I did above.

When you go back multiple times you also see something different. Fortunately, I have a membership and getting in during day visits is free, including parking. Night trips cost, but at reduced rates for members. Still need to go see it under the lights.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:20 PM   #8

They had a similar Chihuly exhibit at the Phipps Conservatory here, but I won't go there over the summer. It's free to get in during the school year for people with university id's (me), but not in the summer for some reason, when I actually have time to go.
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:27 PM   #9

Some additional Chihuly images from yesterday. Katherine wanted to go with me and try out her new Sony RX100, which is an amazing little camera.

Some new views using the E-M5. I see something different every time I walk this exhibit..