Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:15 AM   #1

Default Canon Mirrorless leaked

well looks like the 800lb gorilla has finally made itself known

22mm f2.0 lens

http://photorumors.com/2012/07/20/fi...orless-camera/
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:11 AM   #2

I think the writing is on the wall: mirrorless is the future. There are still obstacles, but it's the future. And, I'll go a step further: I think we're going to see aps-c squeezed out. DSLRs are bulky. Now, there are people that demand advantages of larger sensors. So, I think full frame will become the norm for upper-tier / professional interchangeable lens cameras. Note, that doesn't mean those cameras have mirrors. They do for now, but that will go away too. For everyone else, aps-c DSLR cameras and lenses are bulky. Too many people abandon them and go back to digicams. A big reason is bulk.

I think aps-c sized mirrorless is only transitory. You need to reduce overall size. That's the true benefit to the consumer of mirrorless. Not only the camera body, but the lenses. Masses bought DSLRs because they can't get the quality they need from fixed lens cameras. The current generation of mirrorless is getting pretty darn close in terms of function. Form will take a couple more generations as will focus performance. Within a couple more generations there won't be enough benefit to APS-C DSLR to get people to absorb the bulk over smaller sensor mirrorless. And if the rumors of Nikon's sub $2k full frame turn out to be true - full frame sensors will begin to dominate the upper end.

I just hope viewfinders remain. I still infinitely prefer a viewfinder to LCD - it's more stable and less impacted by ambient light.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:45 AM   #3

JohnG - I lost you somewhere in there but I think I agree with the overall point that the top end will become a full frame sensor world and the APS-C DSLR will be phased out in favor of APS-C or 4/3 sensors in mirror-less. The mirror less market will segment into rangefinder-esque cameras w/o built in EV-Fs and cameras with built in EV-Fs as Panasonic, Olympus and now Samsung are moving this direction.

The big question I have with the Canon mirror-less is what will be the sensor? will it be the same as in the T4-i or will it be from the GX1?
Old Jul 20, 2012, 2:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
The big question I have with the Canon mirror-less is what will be the sensor? will it be the same as in the T4-i or will it be from the GX1?
I think it's pointless to go with aps-c. There isn't enough reduction in lens size. I think we see something smaller than aps-c sized and an adapter so people can start with EF and EF-s lenses.

I therefore expect a new sensor entirely.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2012, 2:52 PM   #5

aps-c mirrorless are interesting. But like john pointed out they get pretty bulky when mounted to aps-c mounted lenses. Just look at the compact aps-c mounts form sony and samsung. They reduce the size a bit, but they are still bulk when you step away from the pancakes.

The panny and olympus m4/3 options seems to have a nice compromise of size and image quality. The nikon went with a smaller sensor, to get the lenses smaller. They gave up on a bit of IQ and noise for the size aspect.

So I am not sure if APS-c will be dominate size sensor in mirror less. They have some advantages in iq, but growing the lens does really adds allot of sized.

But it was about time canon came out with their mirrorless.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 2:58 PM   #6

Without having looked at any rumored specs, it'll be interesting to see if they try and do this like a real system or like Nikon, with a few cheapo zooms, a pancake or two and an adapter to use all the DSLR EF lenses, in which case I would rather just buy a Rebel DSLR.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2012, 3:14 PM   #7

additional information seems to point to two cameras, a 14mp and a 24mp. The above seems to be the 14mp.

Expectation is the GX1 sensor (14.3mp 1.5") would likely be used for the 14mp.

It is roughly 20% smaller than an APS-C sensor and just a little bit bigger than a 4/3 sensor. I expect this to be the sensor size they will use.

Now the question I have is would the 24mp use the same size sensor?

The only thing out there now that is 24mp in the Canon line is the 5DMK3... which is of course full frame and way too much camera to squeeze into a mirrorless body.

my bet is on a (new) 18mp sensor also in the GX1 size, that or the APS-C sensor from the T4i.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 3:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Without having looked at any rumored specs, it'll be interesting to see if they try and do this like a real system or like Nikon, with a few cheapo zooms, a pancake or two and an adapter to use all the DSLR EF lenses, in which case I would rather just buy a Rebel DSLR.
rumor has it that there will be 3-5 lenses announced at launch and an adapter for EF lens compatibility.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 3:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
additional information seems to point to two cameras, a 14mp and a 24mp. The above seems to be the 14mp.

Expectation is the GX1 sensor (14.3mp 1.5") would likely be used for the 14mp.

It is roughly 20% smaller than an APS-C sensor and just a little bit bigger than a 4/3 sensor. I expect this to be the sensor size they will use.

Now the question I have is would the 24mp use the same size sensor?

The only thing out there now that is 24mp in the Canon line is the 5DMK3... which is of course full frame and way too much camera to squeeze into a mirrorless body.

my bet is on a (new) 18mp sensor also in the GX1 size, that or the APS-C sensor from the T4i.
The Sony NEX 7 is 24MP and aps-c format, so aps-c would be perfectly "do-able" at that resolution.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2012, 3:51 PM   #10

Why not M43 mount? If you're late to the mirrorless party like Canon is why not swallow your pride and jump on the M43 bandwagon. By going with a proprietary mount you limit lens sales like Nikon has done with the 1 series. Imagine having the option of being able to buy Canon M43 lenses. Sure Canon would have to compete with other makers for camera body sales but Canon's reputation would make them more than competitive plus owners of other makes of M43 cameras could buy Canon lenses. Seems like a no brainer, but what do I know?

Last edited by BackBayBiloxi; Jul 20, 2012 at 3:55 PM. Reason: stupidity
BackBayBiloxi is offline   Reply With Quote