Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jul 28, 2012, 3:11 PM   #1

Default As Sean Connery once said....

Never say Never...

Never, EVER, say never!

This morning I went out to do a little bit of shooting before taking off to Boston tomorrow for 10 days when I noticed this "blob" in the middle of all my E-M5 images in the exact same spot. Taking the lens off, I saw this particle of something on it. Two actually. Tried my hand air blower....nothing. Took it to Arlington Camera for them to have a go at it.....no good.

They also do sensor cleanings at Arlington Camera, BUT......no one makes cleaning swabs the right size for Olympus four-thirds or micro cameras because they *never* (there's that word again) get anything on them that the in-camera sensor shaker cannot get off. At least, that's what I thought.

Had to leave the body at AC for them to send off to Olympus to get whatever it is off the sensor. Another good reason for also never having just one camera, so it'll be my E-P3 and prime setup going to Boston.

I sure am glad I did some last minute shooting with the E-M5 this morning and saw it just in time to make the switch before leaving. I have no idea, at all, how that stuff got on the sensor. I was out with the camera just a couple of days ago and captured some files where a spot in that area would have stuck out like a sore thumb and it was not there. When I took the E-P3 and primes to Paris a couple of months ago, I bet I changed lenses at least 200 times (probably more) over those 10 days, and the E-P3 sensor is as pristine as the day I took it out of the box.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2012, 3:31 PM   #2

Yikes

Hope they get the sensor properly cleaned for you.

Safe travels to Boston.....

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:11 PM   #3

.....oh phooey, that is just too bad, sorry to hear this, especially for your trip.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:08 PM   #4

Yep, it is, what it is. The sorry thing is, this size sensor has been is existence since 2003 and no one, not even Olympus sells a darn swab to the public, or even a dealer for cleaning the sensors locally. This type thing should be an easy fix. If something made it's way onto the sensor of Zig's D7000 it wouldn't take him long to clean it off, but I will say it seems like a totally freak-thing knowing how many Olympus bodies I've used since 2005 to never have it happen until now.

The E-P3 will do fine with the 3 fast primes and Rokinon fisheye. I'm just hoping to get the E-M5 back by August 17 so I can take it to Enid to shoot the ceremony of my daughter getting her wings, just in case I need to use a longer lens and higher ISO setting. If Olympus service is as fast as I have experienced, it may be at AC waiting for me when I return on August 8. Since I'm leaving in the morning there's no way I could have shipped it off until after I returned. Another perk buying from the local dealer.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jul 28, 2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:06 AM   #5

Why couldn't you just cut a APS-C sensor cleaner to fit the Oly M5?
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:14 AM   #6

I've always been amazed by the fact that I haven't got a single speck of dust on any of my m4/3 camera's sensor, especially considering how exposed they are once the lens is removed. You must have got some sticky stuff on it and I'm sure Olympus will get it back in shape. It was indeed a good thing you caught the problem before the trip. The only time I take only one camera with me is when I go on local short trips and the camera of choice is a P&S (no lens swap). Otherwise, I always bring two bodies with me because anything can happen. That's the greatest thing about m4/3...the bodies and lenses are small, compact and I can easily fit quite a bit of equipment in a fairly small bag without carrying a tone of weight.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2012, 9:09 PM   #7

Hey Greg sorry to hear that you are w/o the em5 for a while, glad you have a second camera that uses all the same lenses

So what brings you to bean town? I have lived on the south shore and now live just over the border in nh to the north, worked in Chelsea for 7 years. I have been here ten years so i don't pretend to be a local (my wife is though) but I can offer up any suggestions for side trips (beaches or seashore communities) if you need.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 6:40 AM   #8

Thanks.

Been here attending a finance class this week through Cannon Financial at Boston U.

Has not been all study though. I made it to two of the Red Sox-Tigers games this week.

Finals Saturday morning and I'm then headed down to Cape Cod for 3 full days of picture-taking.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 8:44 AM   #9

Sounds like you have a plan already. I am afraid the Cape is not my area of knowledge. On the south shore there is a beach called Minot (pronounced my-not, not mino as the french would say) that is very nice in Scituate. Being a Saturday you might want to check 1030AM (radio) for traffic every ten minutes and see how long the line is to get across the bridges. If it is a big wait there you may find it easier to drive south and stop in somewhere like Scituate and have dinner then head into the Cape after the traffic has lessened on the bridges. This site has some tips http://www.cape-cod-for-couples.com/...d-traffic.html

Good luck on the finals and enjoy the Cape!
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:59 AM   #10

I'm looking forward to seeing some of Greg's photos of the Cape.