Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:57 AM   #1

Default Train

Heard on the news that an old 40s locomotive was on its way through my area. I got lucky and caught them near where the turnaround is.

The shot of the three people is a little OOF, but I decided it was sharp enough at smaller sizes and I liked the shot anyhow so it was good enough for my purposes. The B&W had a big red lens flare coming out of the headlight, so I thought I'd try some PP and kind of heavy cropping (it was originally the same perspective as the shot after it only right as it was under that overpass). Any suggestions of course, please.

Oh, shot with the 45-200 E-PL2

SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2012, 1:59 PM   #2

I'm a train buff so all these are great shots for me to see, but I especially like 2, 9, and 10. Thanks for sharing.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 9:12 AM   #3

Thanks James. Looking at them a day or two separated from actually taking them, I think my favorite is #9. Shooting from the bridge wasn't quite as awesome an experience as being right down with it, but I like the POV and being able to see the coal car, etc.

One thing I've noticed and learned looking at these, is that the JPGs are showing less detail in the black than what I was seeing in the RAWs on my PC at home. I was seeing a little more detail of the mechanicals in the bottom half of the train. I suppose this is from the compression, or the uploading or resizing, or just because this monitor is a little older/suckier than the one I have at home, whatever. Most of you probably knew that already and it doesn't ruin the picture for me or anything, but it's something new for me to keep in mind.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 3:42 PM   #4

That's a 2-8-4 Berkshire Locomotive and likely made at the Lima Locomotive Works in Lima, Ohio.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 3:43 PM   #5

What city were these taken in Sam?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 7:32 PM   #6

I don't know squat about locomotives except that I like looking at'em and these images I like.

My hometown (Moberly, Missouri) was a WABASH works town and I remember the roundhouse & seeing those huge steam locomotives.

(2-8-4) ... I guessing 8 carrier wheels with 4-driven, but what are the 2?

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2012, 7:45 PM   #7

2 are the two lead trucks. 8 are the large drivers. 4 is the trailing truck. Two wheels each side. Those steamers are a work of art for sure.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
What city were these taken in Sam?

These are just outside of Beaver Falls PA which is Nothwest of Pittsburgh.

The people who run the train have a fun little site where you can "track" (haha) were it is with GPS:
http://fortwaynerailroad.org/locate.html

I really don't know much about trains, except that this was a totally different to experience compared to the numerous and blue-collar diesels we normally get hauling their loads of coal up the river from West Virginia.