Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:45 PM   #1

Default Nice to Be Using the E-M5 again...

It's amazing the operational difference using the E-M5 compared to the E-P3. Having it for a few weeks, then losing it for 2-3 weeks and going back to the prior body makes it painfully obvious how good the new body is. I REALLY wished I had had it for my vacation to Boston/Cape Cod.

The IS performance in the viewfinder on the half-press is amazing. Even using the 75-300 M. Zuiko and zoomed all the way to 300mm, the world just goes still on the half-press.

This past weekend when I went to my daughter's graduation I tried, one more time, to find a reason to like the 12-50 M. Zuiko. It's not a "bad lens" so much is it's just painfully obvious how not as good it is as the primes I use most of the time instead of the zoom, but with the graduation ceremony and not being for sure how the lens changes might be handled, I chose to shoot with the 12-50 for convenience-sake.

Looking at the resulting images, it's easy to say (now) I could have just mounted the 45mm f1.8 and done a great job during and after the ceremony. The 12-50 files are plenty good, but just knowing they could have been that much better, well.....I just need to get over that. They were, for the most part, good enough.

Kelsey with her pilot's certificate, lighting with the FL600R flash..

and with my mom outside after the ceremony, fill flash with the FL600R..

and with her husband, just off-stage after he had pinned her wings on..

A shot from the control tower as we toured the base..

This next image almost didn't happen. I was lucky to get what I got.

I thought I'd be cute and try the face detection AF. Well, there was a slide show going on behind them and the [email protected] face detection system locked onto the faces on the slide show, so I had to quickly toggle that off, get re-composed and shoot. With the distance involved to the stage and having the bounce attachment on in such a large hall, the camera used ISO 3200 (the FL600R is good but somewhat underpowered) and focus was not perfect, but I did sort-of get it..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2012, 2:08 PM   #2

Nice shots Greg. Will Kelsey be going into fighter training?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 2:25 PM   #3

She's going to be flying the KC-10 Extender. Training will be at McGuire AFB in New Jersey after a 4-6 week survival training course in October, somewhere in Washington State.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 2:57 PM   #4

Now that requires some good flying when you are fueling aircraft. Congrats to your daughter. When I was stationed at Fort Dix I pulled guard duty at McGuire AFB. We were guarding some F4 Phantoms at the time.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:36 PM   #5

wow, going from trainers to heavies, that is one flyer you have there. You must be so proud of her. Congrats all around.

The photos you have captured of the event are very very good. I was at a convention this past weekend. The "official" shot of an award presentation for a project we had done was to say the least rotten. Even with his full frame nikon and fast zoom, his capture looked like something out of a bad point n shoot. If only he was shooting with your gear and a smidgen of your technical abilities.

Thanks for sharing the celebration and the wonders of the Oly system
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 4:25 PM   #6

Thanks, Kula. Yep, it has been pretty special watching her progress through the program. She seems to think she will be at McGuire for 3-4 years, which gives me a lot of time to get up there more than once to see her and take some trips to other close-by areas, like Washington, New York City and Philadelphia.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 4:34 PM   #7

Definitely visit Mt Vernon. Great shots await you there.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 5:59 AM   #8

Congratulations on your daughter's graduation. You have a right to be very proud of her accomplishments.

AND, your images are excellent as always.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote