Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 2, 2012, 9:41 PM   #11

Default So what WOULD a good everyday zoom be for the Oly M4/3's?

So other than, say- a $1K 12-60 SWD full-size lens, are there any good suggestions for a good everyday zoom for this camera? I'm considering an OM-D?? I already have a 100-300 Panasonic already... kind of switching back and forth between a superzoom and the OM-D... I know the Olympus is the better camera overall...
Wes
Wes James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2012, 11:12 PM   #12

Hi, Wes.

Any suggestion I would make would be a least of the worst options. As I said, I've not tried one yet I was completely happy with. The 12-50 performs pretty darn well from 14-15mm to 50mm, but it does fall apart on the sides at 12-13mm, right where the thing is supposed to sell itself compared to the myriad of 14-xx kit zooms Olympus and Panasonic has made. Each of the three versions of the 14-42 I have owned were less than desirable alternatives with similar problems. I've not used the 14-150 M. Zuiko and have no plans too.

I think my problem is, I grew awfully complacent using the 12-60 Zuiko on those Olympus DSLR's for a period of time and nothing they've made yet even comes close to comparing.

To be honest, THE best zoom one could call "normal" in this system is the most expensive, the $1,300 Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8. The best of the rest is probably the Panasonic 14-45, just based on what I have read and seen others shoot. I would place the Olympus 12-50 M. Zuiko as "the best of what's left". It's a kit lens. Jack of all trades, and master of nothing at 12mm. For the rest of the range, it's good for what it is, it is weather-sealed if that's an issue and ergonomically it's a joy to use with the E-M5.

The current best Olympus option optically in the 12-50mm range is the two prime lens 12mm f2 and 45mm f1.8 M. Zuiko set, along with the Panasonic 25mm f1.4, which I do have.

The 75-300 M. Zuiko is outstanding. The 9-18 M. Zuiko is pretty darn nice, too. If it's important, 12mm is what it takes to capture and I'm using the zoom outfit, the 12-50 will come off and the 9-18 go on if I have the time to do it.

One caviat I ran into today with the third-party battery, I purchased one "Best Bat" third party battery in lieu of having access to genuine Olympus batteries. I now have two Olympus cells, but today I tried loading the third-party battery in the grip and the [email protected] thing got stuck. Fortunately, I was able to get it out sticking some shipping tape on the exposed end and pulling it out, but that's it for me. The thing does not keep much of a charge anyway and I've been using it as a stop-gap until Arlington Camera gets some more batteries in, but I've used that battery for the last time.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2012, 11:20 PM   #13

Default Thanks, Greg!

Greg-
Thanks so much for taking the time to provide such an in-depth answer. I greatly appreciate it. Any reason you have/are avoiding the 40-150??
Wes
Old Sep 2, 2012, 11:31 PM   #14

I have one, I just like the 75-300 M. Zuiko so much I rarely use it. Nice lens, and light as a feather.

After posting above I went back to the DPReview archives of postings because I wanted you to see a couple of posts from a guy by the name of Mahesh who has been using the 12-50 on his E-M5. This guy captures some STUNNING stuff with his outfit. It's obvious the 12-50 is a capable lens. I also think it's possible there are better copies of the lens than others. I've not had mine a year, so I may yet just send it in and have Olympus take a look and see if the performance at the wide-end is really within specs or not.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=42088897

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=42007440

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Sep 3, 2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 10:01 AM   #15

Default Awesome work...

Seems there's always someone around who can work absolute magic!
Thanks for the links... enjoyed his website also.

Wes
Old Sep 4, 2012, 11:57 AM   #16

You know, another problem I have had with the 12-50 may, possibly, also be related to this...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=42406972

I just went back and looked at a few of the problem images from the 12-50 I have posted online, including the one really bad one I posted earlier in this thread, and noticed it was captured using a shutter speed in the range noted in the possible problem range of shutter speeds.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 9:48 AM   #17

So how IS this combo (OM-D + Olympus 12-60mm F/2.8-4.0)?? Sounds like you strongly feel it's "the best".
Do you lose anything operationally adapting the 4/3 format to the M4/3?? Is one adapter better than another???
Wes
Old Sep 9, 2012, 11:00 AM   #18

Hi,

The OM-D / 12-60mm combo is working well. The only problem is AF speed. As a lot of the 4/3 lenses on m4/3 cameras, the focus is usually slower than native m4/3 lenses.

Which, by the way, doesn't remove any of the qualities of the 12-60 ... just don't expect it to be too fast on AF

Gilles

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2012, 1:22 PM   #19

I'm back to what works well with the E-M5.....the primes. 12mm f2, 25mm f1.4, 45mm f1.8 and the 7.5mm Rokinon fisheye.

I used my 12-60 four-thirds lens for a while with my Pens. Super image quality and good manual focus action since it is not the electronic fly-by-wire type MF. AF was completely awful. I wound up selling it. With the primes I'm just fine. If I had to make do with the various standard zoom options, including the 12-50, I just might well have pulled out what's left of my hair by now. The experiment with the 12-50 is over and done.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 9:45 PM   #20

Default Sounds like....

Sounds like Oly primes- meant for the job- designed for the camera- are the best....
Makes sense...
Wes