Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:03 AM   #1

Default Mackinac LH and Bridge.

One of my favorite shots from my vacation last month. I thought the red sky and bridge were a little brighter than I'm seeing now though--wondering if my monitor at home is too bright or something. I don't have one of those fancy-schmancy calibrators or anything. I'm thinking about sending it out for a print so any post-production advice is certainly welcome (a little late for pre-production advice, haha). The OOC JPEG colors were a little too cartoony for my liking.

SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2012, 1:01 PM   #2

It looks great on my not-calibrated-at-all office LCD where everything is brighter than it is on my LCD at home, and I like your composition.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 2:09 PM   #3

Part of it might be that I work in a cave . . .

Thanks.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 3:35 PM   #4

My monitor is sort of calibrated, at least with the software that came with the monitor but I believe it's just basic. Anyhow, looks awful darn good to me. I've been there in the early evening a few times and the pic depicts the mood very well.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 4:02 PM   #5

Location: north eastern Michigan in a cedar swamp with DH and Luna and Ziggy

Looks good on my Dell laptop. Haven't been there in a long time. It's a cool bridge. It's only about 200 miles from me, I ought to give it a visit again.

I really like the shot btw.
MIMudPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2012, 11:51 PM   #6

Sammy, get yourself a peek of the photo on an iPad 3, or 2, it looks great on the iMAC also. I suggests a bit more sharpening for print.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2012, 12:47 PM   #7

That's a cool shot.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 1:01 PM   #8

Thanks for all of the support and advice, everyone. Here are some more shots of the same subjects from some different points of view:

I also took what might be an interesting shot of the bridge in the rain that I almost forgot about. This was just one "scene" in a pretty whirlwind trip. I took so many during that trip and still haven't gone through them all almost a month later.

Last edited by SammyKhalifa; Sep 5, 2012 at 1:06 PM.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 1:56 PM   #9

Lovely shots!

On my calibrated monitors the tower on the right is very dark though some detail can be seen. You may find when printing that the print is dark. This could be because you are editing on a monitor that is too bright in balance against the ambient light level of the room you edit in.

Here's a rough check for brightness - I use it even though I do have a hardware calibrator.

Eyeball Technique

A rough method of setting brightness is to grab a sheaf of white printer paper (several pages thick) and hold it up next to your monitor while it is displaying a white screen (full screen Notepad works well) and while the room has its' typical lighting used while you edit. If the paper looks brighter than your monitor, then your monitor is too dark. If the paper is darker, then the monitor is too bright or perhaps you need to increase the ambient lighting of the room. Imho, it is less than ideal to edit in a near pitch black room.

Most LCD monitors have a native color temperature somewhere near 6500K in order to have whites appear like they would in natural sunlight. Most people still use incandescent or CFL bulbs with a color temperature near 2800K for their room lighting.

Under this traditional lighting the reflected room light off the paper will, in comparison to the monitor screen, appear more yellow (warmer) and this may make you think it is a little darker. You may want to buy some 6000 to 6500K compact fluorescent bulbs, of equal lumen output, for the lighting in your room and use them while attempting this paper method. If these are too blue (cool) for day to day use in your editing room, 5000K bulbs may be a workable compromise.

Here's a site, albeit an "eyeball" method, that may help with a rough calibration of your monitor.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsyL View Post
Lovely shots!

On my calibrated monitors the tower on the right is very dark though some detail can be seen. You may find when printing that the print is dark. This could be because you are editing on a monitor that is too bright in balance against the ambient light level of the room you edit in.

Here's a rough check for brightness - I use it even though I do have a hardware calibrator.

Eyeball Technique

A rough method of setting brightness is to grab a sheaf of white printer paper (several pages thick) and hold it up next to your monitor while it is displaying a white screen (full screen Notepad works well) and while the room has its' typical lighting used while you edit. If the paper looks brighter than your monitor, then your monitor is too dark. If the paper is darker, then the monitor is too bright or perhaps you need to increase the ambient lighting of the room. Imho, it is less than ideal to edit in a near pitch black room.

Most LCD monitors have a native color temperature somewhere near 6500K in order to have whites appear like they would in natural sunlight. Most people still use incandescent or CFL bulbs with a color temperature near 2800K for their room lighting.

Under this traditional lighting the reflected room light off the paper will, in comparison to the monitor screen, appear more yellow (warmer) and this may make you think it is a little darker. You may want to buy some 6000 to 6500K compact fluorescent bulbs, of equal lumen output, for the lighting in your room and use them while attempting this paper method. If these are too blue (cool) for day to day use in your editing room, 5000K bulbs may be a workable compromise.

Here's a site, albeit an "eyeball" method, that may help with a rough calibration of your monitor.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

Thank you! I'll definitely have to try that when I get home.