Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:16 AM   #1

Default Panasonic 100-300 vs. Oly 75-300 on an Olympus M4/3 body

I currently have an E-PL2, and I have a Panasonic 100-300 lens besides the kit lens. I'm considering upgrading to an OM-D, and the Oly 75-300 lens. Would I gain appreciably by moving to the Oly 75-300? Has anyone compared these 2 on an Oly body? I know its a lot more money, but would consider it if enough gain in image quality and focusing speed/operating experience.
Thanks for any input!
Wes
Wes James is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:59 AM   #2

I would first try the Panasonic 100-300. You may like it. You'll just need to turn off the Mega OIS on the lens and use the in-camera stabilization on the E-M5. Can't use both at the same time.

From what I have seen where users have tried both there's little difference between the Panasonic 100-300 and Olympus 75-300 in terms of AF speed or image quality. Certainly not enough to sell the 100-300 at whatever loss you would have to take, then spend the extra to buy the Olympus 75-300, unless you just want the Olympus model.

I have the Olympus 75-300 and love it. It's very nice and has become a much more versatile lens since I picked up the E-M5. Between the great stabilization system and high ISO performance, I pretty much use the lens with no fear in virtually any type of light. The finder being stabilized especially has made it a super easy lens to handhold and compose since the image in the finder no longer jumps all over the place. Of course, with the Mega OIS you have had that advantage with the 100-300 on the Pens. If I had owned the 100-300 Panny with my E-P3 I definitely would have been using the Mega OIS in the lens.

I have not held the Panasonic, but just looking at the specs the two look very close in terms of weight and physical size.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:07 PM   #3

Quote:
If I had owned the 100-300 Panny with my E-P3 I definitely would have been using the Mega OIS in the lens.
Do you mean turn off the in-body IS and utilize the Panasonic's instead? Why?
Wes
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:23 PM   #4

Yep. The Olympus IBIS in the Pen bodies seems to work fine, but the Panasonic 100-300's Mega OIS will also stabilize the Pen finder, whether you were using the back LCD or one of the accessory eyelevel finders.

The E-M5 now also offers finder stabilization, but none of the Pens have, and the OIS built into the Panasonic lenses provides that. At 300mm, a stabilized finder can make all the difference in the world in terms of ease of use in framing the subject.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:49 PM   #5

Default Thanks!!

Great, Greg- I'll try it. Thanks for the explaination. I do have the VF-2 viewfinder, so it sounds like a win-win situation.
Wes
Old Sep 10, 2012, 1:07 PM   #6

I noted the comment over at DPR from the one guy who owns both lenses and tends to use the Panny lens on Panasonic bodies and the Olympus 75-300 on the E-M5.

I understand the operational speed of the 75-300 might be a little faster than the Panasonic 100-300 on the E-M5. The Panasonic lens I use on my E-M5, the 25/1.4, tends to make a little twitching sound on the E-M5 as the aperture values change, especially outdoors. As I use it I rarely even notice it, but it does happen.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 1:25 PM   #7

Yeah... and it makes sense- I know that the Panny tends to exhibit CA on the Oly bodies, as the Pan bodies correct for the CA in the lenses... which the Oly bodies don't. I haven't noticed it yet- as I haven't used the lens that much yet, but intend to get more use out of it- and will watch for it.
Wes
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:44 AM   #8

Most Lumix lenses tend to be quieter on Panasonic than on Oly bodies. The only Oly body I have is the EPL1, which is a nice camera but with slow AF. I also noticed that all my Lumix lenses focus much faster on the EPL1 than the Zuiko ones. Now, from what Greg is saying, this behavior has changed with the EM5. Although the m4/3 lenses are interchangeable between Panasonic and Olympus camera bodies, the corrections needed for each lens (whether it's WA distortion, CA, etc.) becomes more of a problem when using Lumix lenses on Oly bodies and vice-verse.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote