Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 18, 2012, 9:44 PM   #1

Cool I did not know the EM-5

is smaller than the E-P3; but last Friday at Arlington Camera I HELD an EM-5 and immediately felt the difference. I put my P3 alongside and could see the small difference which felt to me to be bigger than it actually is.

So I would need to consider one of the grips, Oly is expensive, but then Really Right Stuff is too and the one from the Leica guy is really expensive.

Oh what to do...... I did buy a tripod & head and a new bag but no EM-5, YET!

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:44 PM   #2

I've settled into using the upper part of the Olympus grip with the E-M5. The "grip" is vastly improved using the upper part of that unit, especially with a lens like the 75-300. Using both pieces works well enough, but the lower part of my right hand has both hit and moved one lower wheel enough to adjust the exposure compensation when I did not want to, and the lower part of my hand tripped the shutter using the vertical release while I was holding it horizontally....things that never happened with the E5 or E30 fitted with the vertical grip.

The other positive thing using just the upper part of the grip does is, it centers the tripod bush directly under the lens. It is offset on the body only, and becomes offset again if you use both parts of the vertical grip.

Yes, with the VF-2 fitted, the E-P3 is quite a bit higher/bulkier than the E-M5. The E-M5 fits much easier in the Think Tank Retro 5 bag than the E-P3+VF2.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 2:50 AM   #3

You can feel 1mm difference? Kinda like the princess and the pea scenario. See:
http://camerasize.com/compare/#155,289
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 7:31 AM   #4

Not the bottom really. The top piece adds substantially to the grip on the front.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 1:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
is smaller than the E-P3; but last Friday at Arlington Camera I HELD an EM-5 and immediately felt the difference. I put my P3 alongside and could see the small difference which felt to me to be bigger than it actually is.

So I would need to consider one of the grips, Oly is expensive, but then Really Right Stuff is too and the one from the Leica guy is really expensive.

Oh what to do...... I did buy a tripod & head and a new bag but no EM-5, YET!
Bob just go buy one and get it over with, you know you're going to get one sooner or later so it might as well be now. You did a kitchen makeover for Bonnie so now you've got some ammo to use. As for me, I'm all out of ammo for shooting back.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 7:33 PM   #6

James, I am waiting for the next generation or until I actually lose the VF-2. In the meantime I stopped by the Dollar General store and bought a bag of rubberbands.

Besides the M5 is smaller than the P3 and I'm hoping the new cam might be 1mm or more bigger than the P3, I will know when I handle it and if it is or feels bigger, "I'm buying" that little pea shooter.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 8:20 AM   #7

Stop losing stuff. If I ever upgraded I'd probably go with the E-PL5 for my needs but I do like the focusing system of the M5. I've ran across more than one instance where the PL2 had problems focusing and it was usually due to poor or low contrast.