Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 22, 2012, 9:24 PM   #1

Default Trip to Clark Gardens in Weatherford

About 40 miles west of Fort Worth and actually beyond Weatherford and closer to Mineral Wells, you wouldn't imagine a place like this being in the middle of mesquite and cactus country, but it's a beautiful 35 acre garden and botanical center, and was well worth the trip.

Katherine tagged along, taking her Sony RX100. I had the E-M5, 12/25/45 primes and 75-300 M. Zuiko, along with the 10mm Kenko extension tube for closeups with the 75-300, and there were some beautiful things to be shooting closeups..

Great looking landscapes to capture too..

And Bob, there were two areas within the park where butterfies were EVERYWHERE. They didn't stay very still if you tried getting in close, so I backed off and zoomed in all the way with the 75-300..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Sep 22, 2012 at 9:26 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:26 PM   #2

I get the newsletter & have been wanting to get over there for quite some time but just have not done it.

Your 75-300 & my FT 70-300 works so well for butterflies, gotta love the range. My usual shooting stance is as you describe, stand in at 4-8 feet shooting distance & work the lens. Yours here are perfectly done, love'em.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Sep 23, 2012 at 5:40 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 2:25 AM   #3

One more, I'll call this one "Face to Face"..

Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:52 AM   #4

wow stunning work Greg!

the roses are great, my wife would be jealous of them as ours have taken a beating from the Japanese beatles. Great landscape composition too, I assume the 12mm was used? Out of curiosity do you need to apply much distortion correction in PP for that lens?

Also really like the butterfly shots, like Bob I find the FT 70-300mm a great tool for shooting butterflies, dragonflies and recently honey bees. I will get about 4-8 feet away and often times I put the camera in my lap and peer down into the VF-2 finding this gives me extra steadiness or I use monopod.

The swan is also a really cool composition.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:42 AM   #5

Katherine was making the same comments about the roses. A couple of times she commented "I don't know what these guys are spraying on them, but it is working...". She's grown roses a lot in the past and down here, black spot and small bugs just destroy them unless you constantly are spraying.

I used the 12mm f2 on the 5th image posted above.

The software I used to process raw files, Photoshop CS6, applies the camera-directed corrections so there's little to do in terms of correcting image files out of Adobe Camera RAW. The coded corrections do not correct the files 100%, but does 98-99%. The far, far corners are what could use a little extra cleanup. If I have a subject with a lot of straight lines that run side to side where any distortion would be noticeable, I run the file through the PTLens Photoshop plugin after conversion, which does an excellent job cleaning up what Photoshop did not correct. In the case of the above file, I just left it as-processed by ACR.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Sep 23, 2012 at 11:45 AM.