Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:16 AM   #1

Default stupid newbie question about noise

OK, I'm still delving into all of these menus on the E-PL2, doing some reading and still can't decide how to go about things. We have NOISE REDUCTION and NOISE FILTER, and currently I have them both sent on LOW IIRC (don't have the camera on me to be sure). I usually shoot in RAW only and hit the noise reduction (maybe too much?) in lightroom. Should I just turn them both off? Does the NR even alter the RAW files or just JPEG? How do you guys have it set?
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2012, 1:36 PM   #2

The noise filter is the only one of the two that works for normal image noise. Standard is the default setting. I usually had mine on the E-PL2 set to LOW, but since I shoot raw and do not use the Olympus software to process the files it was of no consequence. If you shoot raw and use the Olympus Viewer software, the setting you have enabled is what will be applied, but you obviously will be able to go into Viewer, review the shot and apply whatever setting works best.

Noise reduction is different. It controls the added noise related to ultra-long exposures (multi-seconds). The problem with having noise reduction on all the time is the extra long and unnecessary write times. It really slows you down from shot to shot.

I have noise reduction set to auto, which will only trigger its' use when needed, which is rarely to never for normal, every day shooting. Auto or off should be where noise reduction is set.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:28 PM   #3

Thanks.

So "Noise Filter" is what everybody in the world besides Olympus engineers refer to as Noise Reduction, right? That's what I thought, thanks for confirming. Am I wrong to think that that affects the JPG only and not the raw? I still get all of that confused.

The "Noise Reduction" is still a mysterious to me, so I'll just leave it on auto and let it practice its dark arts as it wishes.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 8:52 AM   #4

Regarding the noise filter setting and raw files, it depends on the software you are using.

If you are using the Olympus software, called Viewer II, when you open the raw file in the converter whatever setting you used in-camera is applied to the file, BUT, the noise filter setting can be adjusted in the converter to any of the same in-camera settings you have available, so Viewer does apply the settings.

I know of no other program where the in-camera noise filter setting matters. I use Adobe Camera RAW and it does not apply the in-camera parameters, so it matters not what setting you use in-camera if you are shooting raw and using Photoshop, Lightroom or Photoshop Elements.

The "noise reduction" option uses a process called dark frame subtraction to remove the excess noise created during long time exposures..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark-frame_subtraction

You do not need the noise reduction process applied in normal, every day photography. It is processor intensive and slows shot to shot speeds down by a lot. While you had the noise reduction turned on, did you notice a lag time where the camera was locked up between shots? If you are mainly a casual shooter and do not do many shots close together you might not notice so much on a shot to shot basis, but it even locks up the ability to review until after the file is completely written, so if you are one to review a shot right after taking it, you have to wait until after the file is written to go to review.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Sep 28, 2012 at 10:03 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote