Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:50 AM   #1

Default Sony NEX 16mm lens

Thought this was a good buy if someone is looking for a WA fixed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-16mm-f-...-/230661888233
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:11 PM   #2

It is a very good lens, but only works on Sony NEX mirrorless models.

Only time will tell if the two companies will ever share products like Olympus and Panasonic do. Any Olympus lens would have to be re-designed to work on Sony NEX models since Sony uses the wider format aps-c sensor, so it's not like Olympus could just take one of their current lenses and change the mount for Sony. Olympus micro lenses are designed to cover the more square and smaller 4/3rd's sensor, so I do not believe they would create a large enough image circle to cover the aps-c format.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:21 PM   #3

Excellent information to know Greg, thanks for sharing. Cross that one off my list.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 12:08 PM   #4

FYI, in the early days of FourThirds I came across a Sigma 15mm fisheye, but in trying it I found it significantly LESS WIDE then my 14-42mn at 14mm.

IOW, a total waste of money.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 5:32 PM   #5

The word "15mm" is the catch. Just because it's a fisheye lens it does not necessarily mean it is extremely wide. The image looks distorted because of the curvature of the lens but it's still a 15mm so yes, your 14mm will look wider. If you want to go really wide, look for fisheye lenses that are 8mm or less. I have a Rokinon 7.5mm for m4/3, which I find it to be excellent. It's MF but you pretty much set the lens close to infinity and just fire away.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote