Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 3, 2012, 1:44 PM   #1

Default Panny lens

Is the Panasonic 14mm F2.5 Lumix G Lens for M4/3 a good lens or is the Oly better?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-STOCK-Ne...&_qi=RTM759771
Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:58 PM   #2

I'm sure Ramcewan will chime in on this, and I'll agree with him the results look good out of this lens. You can find it super cheap on ebay as well, because people will part them out from camera kit deals and sell each separately.
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 8:20 PM   #3

Which Olympus lens are we talking about. The Panny 14mm f2.5 is better, much better, than the Olympus 17mm f2.8. Not even close in my opinion.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:09 PM   #4

That was the lens I was referring to, the Olympic 17mm 2.8.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 3:00 PM   #5

as Drew said I will chime in and say the 14mm is a great little lens especially for the price. It does have noticeable barrel distortion which can either be used to your advantage or corrected for in post processing fairly easily.

In terms of ranking lenses in this FL the general consensus is;

Olympus 17mm f2.8 < Panasonic 14mm f2.5 < Olympus 12mm f2.0

Now there is also the new Olympus 15mm f8 "body-cap" lens that is up for pre-order for only $49

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details

personally I would still opt for the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 for the extra money but I was pleasantly surprised by the few images I have seen with the body cap lens

www.blog.mingthein.com/2012/09/26/olympus-e-pl5/
Old Oct 4, 2012, 3:14 PM   #6

The body cap lens would be a good replacement choice if you lost your body cap for your camera. But with just one f stop it wouldn't be something I'd be interested in. The pics look good, thanks for sharing Ramce.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 4:53 PM   #7

I find the Panasonic 14mm to be a really sharp lens on the Olympus OM-D EM-5, well worth the eBay investment.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 9:37 PM   #8

I don't have much to compare it to, but for what it's worth I like mine a lot

[strange, all of the top keys on my keyboard are making the letter "v" instead. anyhow.]

Big tangent of an edit but I thought I'd mention if anybody ever has the problem--it was Norton "protecting" me from the top row of my keyboard. Uh, OK.

Another edit. Is the Oly 17 going cheap these days? I guess that's because the new Oly 17 is coming out soon, and it sounds like it's going to be great. I guess people weren't too happy with the old one.

(You don't know how good you have it being about to type "17" until one day you can't.)

Last edited by SammyKhalifa; Oct 4, 2012 at 10:05 PM.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:17 AM   #9

Thanks for your input guys. I'm wondering what the noticeable differences (other than a lower fstop) would be between the Panny 14mm and shooting the Oly kit lens zomed down to 14mm.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:39 AM   #10

Honestly I don't know. I'm pretty poor on the technical side (at least so far). I've heard that it is sharper though.

A big part for me is psychological. With the limitation of having only the prime instead of the zoom on there I find myself looking for different (and possibly better) "points of view" than I would have with the zoom. Before I got the lens, I read other people saying the same thing and remember thinking to myself that that was a bunch of nonsense. I do know that despite the limitations I haven't put the kit zoom back on since I got the 14.

There's also the thing where I can now fit the E-PL2 easily inside just about any pocket. And mine for some reason came in mono-black instead of with that silver ring around the outside, so that's cool. B)
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote