Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 6, 2012, 10:24 PM   #1

Default Best in Show..

A few images from earlier today at the Schnauzer event. Captured raw with the E-M5 and the 40-150 M. Zuiko, and processed in Photoshop CS6.

Ambient exposure was ISO 400, 1/200 second shutter speed at f5.6. Fill light provided with an Olympus FL50R flash, mounted on a tripod and bounced into an umbrella using manual flash at 1/4 power and fired wirelessly using Cactus V5 triggers. Tripod mounting the flash meant the flash to subject distance remained constant, allowing me to move as I needed with just the camera and lens.

You've not lived until you tried shooting outdoor dog portraits in a park where 50-75 other dogs are running around and barking.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2012, 9:30 AM   #2

Quote:
You've not lived until you tried shooting outdoor dog portraits in a park where 50-75 other dogs are running around and barking.
NOPE, haven't tried doing that but you've certainly shown it can be done and with class results.

Yesterday was perfect weather and light for your setup which shows to have worked exactly as you planned......... well done.

I am sending an email link for this and your SMug gallery to my neighbor/friend who has two of them hyper-critters.

Beautiful portraits from the M5 & 75-300, you really did have a fun day, the photos show proof of it.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 11:53 AM   #3

Default Great pic's of great dogs....

Ahhh, nostalgia.... My parents had a Schnauzer when I was growing up- had her for near 20 years, I guess... she was a great dog- and a wonderful pet. Nice job capturing them!
Wes
Wes James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 12:09 PM   #4

Love the shots Greg. We have two Schnauzers, a salt/pepper and a rarer party Schnuazer. I guess they are called partys because they are tri color; grey, white, and a little brown. Here is a pic of the youngest (6 1/2 weeks old) taken the day we brought her home. She is the party schnuazer. This is straight out of the camera with the 14-42II kit lens...

Macy by James Gasta, on Flickr

Last edited by James Emory; Oct 7, 2012 at 12:12 PM.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 7:50 PM   #5

Greg,

These are flat out great portrait shots, even more so because they are of animals and not humans which usually cooperate more. Did you do anything to get them to look in the direction you wanted? i.e. like holding a toy or having the owner stand behind you?
Old Oct 7, 2012, 11:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
NOPE, haven't tried doing that but you've certainly shown it can be done and with class results.

Yesterday was perfect weather and light for your setup which shows to have worked exactly as you planned......... well done.

I am sending an email link for this and your SMug gallery to my neighbor/friend who has two of them hyper-critters.
Thanks, Bob. Katherine volunteered to help "pose" the dogs along with one of the organizations other volunteers. Without them, it would have been chaos.

You're right. The light Saturday was perfect the these, and not being warm, we did not have a lot of dogs sitting there with their tongues hanging out. Didn't even mist a drop and the wind did not start kicking up until the end, so we lucked out on the weather-end of it.

Thanks for the comments. The Cactus triggers were great.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 11:12 PM   #7

Thanks for the comments Wes, and James, that's one cute little puppy. She has the same facial look as Katherine's schnauzer. Coloration is different, but she's a doll.

Ramcewan, you pretty much nailed it, although there was plenty going on around to get any dog to look around with his/her ears up. We had several toys on-hand and tried putting the owners visually close enough to me so they were looking in the general direction of the camera. Sometimes it worked great. Other times, not so great.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 6:07 AM   #8

Hi Greg,

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a fan of dressed up dogs pics. However, I'm a big fan of technically great photographs. And, these sure fit that category. I'm sure the dog owners were quite pleased with your results.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 9:21 AM   #9

Thanks, Zig. It was definitely a different type of project, I'm always interested in trying something new and I'll be able to apply the lighting experience to future portrait opportunities.

Lots of really nice folks, but there's always a couple in a group like this that gives you a clue where the producers of the movie "Best in Show" got their material .
Old Oct 9, 2012, 10:24 AM   #10

Nice to see these. I grew up with miniature schnauzers so they have a special place.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote