Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:02 PM   #11

Yeah I think in this case the polarizer isn't needed. It will make the sky blue on top, but is it necessary? I think the one you posted with the tree in the foreground warrants the polarizer as it helps define the tree with good color contrast.

I'm still experimenting with polarizers and this was the first trip I've used them. I have a lot of shots with those gradations, but I don't like many of them. On the other hand, here are a couple where I think the polarizer works well because it helps define the mountain edges:

drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:15 PM   #12

Yeah I agree it makes things look a bit odd sometimes, esp. at the wide angle. Oh well. Love shot #2 by the way.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:53 AM   #13

Sam
When your image first opens up I was wondering why you had posted it, the hills and sky so washed out. Then as I scrolled down and the hang glider appears I go wow, what a cool shot, there's the colour and the focus. But, like you I think I'm disappointed by the initial reaction to the distant hills. the atmospheric haze is taking away from the overall shot. In film days, my lenses were always "clothed" with a UV filter just for occasions like this. And a polarizer would go on as well on any distant vista type shots.

I think this pic would have benefited from the polarizer. Your other shot with the 14mm shows how the distant hills benefit from cutting the haze and reflected glare. Not sure about the UV filters these days, but the Pol would have been a treat on this shot. Now if only I would remember to use mine more often ;-)
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:54 PM   #14

G'day Sammy

May I add to the other comments here - [ps: I really do like these pics btw]
Could the following cropping work?? ie- it removes the upper hills and concentrates the vision onto the glider and the valley over which it's flying ...

Hope this helps
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 9:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day Sammy

May I add to the other comments here - [ps: I really do like these pics btw]
Could the following cropping work?? ie- it removes the upper hills and concentrates the vision onto the glider and the valley over which it's flying ...

Hope this helps
Regards, Phil
I like that crop, Phil! And thanks for the nice words. I just wish I could get the colors that I got with the wider shots from the 14.

I'll probably be messing with it forever. Haha.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
I'll probably be messing with it forever. Haha.
And isn't that the joy of digital. No long waits in the darkroom processing an exposure, pulling it out of the process tube, drying and looking at the shot and that's it. We can play with an image to our hearts content. I think that now, through digital, we can become improved shooters, as playing with so many variations helps us to learn to see our next shots better.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote