Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 18, 2012, 6:55 PM   #1

Post mornings field HDR

This morning I took the AEB bracketed set of shots that I used to create this HDR. If you look to the left side of the frame you can make a flock of geese out, they appear to be more than they really were as they got captured in flight and brought into the final product multiple times

PA186475_6_7_8_tonemapped_1 by ramcewan, on Flickr

thoughts and comments appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2012, 8:48 PM   #2

What editor and HDR software do you use? I ask because the one I have (Oloneo) has a "ghost removal" tool that might be able to remove some of the phony birds and make one set of them more substantial, if you're interested in that.

I haven't used any HDR since picking up lightroom so I'm not definite how it works, but I did notice what might be a little CA (or maybe just a product of the HDR?) when I view your image large. I see that red off of the tree on the right-hand side. You might be able to correct some of that in the separate image in your editor and then export and do the HDR if you want to deal with that. If you don't have it, I can attest that LR4 works some sort of crazy dark magick on the CA on my 14mm Panny.

Technical stuff aside (which isn't my strong suit anyhow as you could probably tell), I like the scene and the fog. And those are more important as far as I'm concerned. If I were doing this I'd probably hit the blue skies harder and put a little less on the red, but that's all taste and whim. The scene reminds me of some of the land around my home territory.

Last edited by SammyKhalifa; Oct 18, 2012 at 8:59 PM.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:38 AM   #3

Hey Sammy!

I did the HDR processing with Photomatix (version 4.1 I think). This was shot with the Olympus 25mm f2.8 Four Thirds lens btw. I don't have LR4 although I've been meaning to trial it.

I think the red coloration that appears to be CA is more an outcome of the HDR process. Here's a shot from the bracket that I turned luminescence and saturation up on to see if I could achieve a similar affect to the HDR

PA186484_2 by ramcewan, on Flickr
Old Oct 19, 2012, 2:24 PM   #4

How do you like that lens? I think one of my next pieces of "junk" to get will be a 20-30mmish lens for times the 14 just seems too wide. The natural choice would seem to be the Panasonic 20, but maybe that's a little close to the 14? I don't know.

Honestly getting lightroom is the best thing I've gotten photography-wise (keep in mind that I have a pretty lean and frugal/"cheap" set of gear). There's a little bit of a learning curve though (if I ever get all of the nuances).
Old Oct 19, 2012, 6:05 PM   #5

Sammy, I fell in love with the focal length when I bought a sigma super wide 24mm f2.8 manual focus lens with a sticky aperture. The Olympus 25mm f2.8 is a step up from there and since I already had the FT -> MFT adapter (Panasonic DMW-MA1) it made alot of sense for me.

In film the SLR/FF DSLR world the 50mm lens has long been regarded as having a normal field of view, where normal means roughly the area a human gaze covers excluding the periphery (at least that's how I understand they arrived at 50mm).

The thing with MFT is that in order to replicate that field of view of you need a 25mm. Only problem is there is only one 25mm currently, the Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 and it costs north of $550... which is out hard for my "frugal/cheap" minded self too that said it is clearly a very sharp and versatile lens that you'll see around here gets put to good use producing amazing shots by those who have it.

The Olympus 25mm f2.8 is not nearly as sharp. I would rate it below the 14mm, but not by much. Being a four thirds lens it is also is loud to focus.

So would I recommend the 25mm f2.8 for you? probably not since you don't have an adapter as the adapter adds $60 for cheap Chinese import and up for the Panasonic or Olympus, I want to say I paid ~$80 used on fleebay for mine.

To your other question about the 20mm being too close to the 14mm.... I thought so personally. I mean try some test shots with the kit lens at 14, 20, 25, 30 and see what you like for field of view.

I toss 30mm in there because the Sigma 30mm f2.8 lens is only $189 after coupon code and is said to be a pretty sharp lens. Sigma also makes a 19mm f2.8 for the same price.

Many SLR users liked the 58-60mm range likewise some liked 40mm lenses like the Konica Hexanon 40mm f1.8 instead of the 50mm so these two FL make good sense as well for an all around lens.

So yeah in the end you have the Sigmas on a budget or the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 a bit outside the budget.

Or if you decide you like the 25mm fl like I do then idk... I got a manual focus sigma 24mm f2.8 with a sticky aperture if you want it, you'll need to buy a konica AR -> MFT adapter for it though, but those are under $20.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 9:19 AM   #6

Yeah, I've heard good things about the Sigma too. For now I might be wait-and-see as the new Oly 17mm comes out--if it's as good as predicted people might be looking to unload their old 20s. I suppose I don't understand why there's such a premium on M43 lenses compared to other systems . . . hopefully that will change a bit as new lenses become available.