Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 20, 2012, 6:55 PM   #1

Default .....we have color in north central Texas

but not yet from the trees. I found some monarchs which did not make the migration flock final cut. These are now a bit lethargic and likely during their last days but still oh so beautiful.

E-P3, FT 70-300 w/EX-25 @ actual focus distance about 30-inches

....this female Agriope was centered in her 20-in diameter web. I first saw this spider Sunday last; in the morning. The web faces west so I decided to return with the sun at a later time of day. I checked on it 4-days later and she was still at the same place in a stand of Turks Cap. If not disturbed this spider will tear down and rebuild her web daily and stay there as long as the food supply (flies, bees, and other insects) is good. The Turks Cap will die out with the first frost, I am hoping she 'sacs' her eggs here so that I can watch over the course of winter.

Fun stuff...... same hardware setup (FT 70-300 w/EX-25 @ approx 30-inches distance.

....same spider from 4-days earlier; rolling a meal - P3, FT 70-300 -- no EX-25

...this shot of the beautiful symmetrical web -- FT 35mm MACRO lens

I love shooting the monarch butterfly, this one too with the FT 70-300 bare

....and we do have tree leaf color; this is about as good as it gets here; away from the Japanese Gardens in Fort Worth

I was at our local store (Arlington Camera) yesterday and a rep from Olympus was there with all the m43 stuff........ Greg, I gotta tell'ya the 60mm is the 'beast' lens of the bunch DANG! Also got my hands on the 75mm but the 60mm is just too neat, I DID NOT ORDER ONE.

I am pretty much content with lugging my heavy lenses and when I see the results it makes it all ok.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Oct 21, 2012 at 7:38 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:33 PM   #2

I'm on their waiting list for the 60 . Wish I coulda been there to see it. Katherine and I went on a photo safari today at Fossil Rim. Too cool.

These butterfly images are really good. The four-thirds 70-300 really can get in close on its' own, and the EX25 just makes it that much better.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:58 PM   #3

Greg,

The Fossil Rim run had to be total fun with the weather day it was. I am going to the lake tomorrow, the Arlington Yacht Club sailboats will be racing noon on and it should be another spectacular day to be outside.

I used the 50-200 / EC20 last weekend but the results were not so good, tomorrow I will make some adjustments AND maybe use the E-3 for a while. I am using the tripod quite a lot now and getting more comfortable every time.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Oct 21, 2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 9:19 AM   #4

these are great shots bob ... really love the butterfly shots and the spider is very cool too, the detail you have achieved is excellent.

only problem is now I want a set of extension tubes and a 35mm macro!
Old Oct 21, 2012, 9:38 AM   #5

Thanks RA for the comment.

Yes, the EX-25 on the 70-300 is an excellent combination and on the FT40-150 as well.

The 35mm is what everyone says, fun to use and very good results, keep checking Cameta and KEH for warranted refurbished and really good pricing for the 35mm.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:28 PM   #6

The monarch shots are amazing. So close and such fine detail without it being a true macro, that is a versatile lens setup you are working with. That must be quite the large spider, is it really as big as the monarch?
What did you think of the 60?
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:15 AM   #7

KC, the monarch images are uncropped, the FT70-300 & EX-25 does some extreme magnification, it is a fun to use combo.

This spider is large, it's body length is approx 1 inch, the leg spread right front to left rear can be 2 1/2 to 3 inches. It really is nearing the monarch scale. The web is really large too, I've seen webs more than 24 inches, and the spider tears it away to rebuild it daily.

This Argiope is known by several common names including simply 'garden spider' and in Australia as St Thomas Cross due to its normal stance on the web as seen above.

I only held the m60. I did not mount it to the M5 though could have. It has a heft to it that tells the precision it is. I would really like having a 60 where the 75 doesn't tickle my fancy at all.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Oct 22, 2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:05 AM   #8

Nice shots Bob, incredible detail. Monarchs are my fave butterfly. Shot this one a year or two back in my butterfly garden.
I think I got carried away with the sharpening.

Cropped Butterfly - Copytiff by James Gasta, on Flickr
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:26 PM   #9

Nice shots Bob. I especially like the butterfly.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote