Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 25, 2012, 4:09 PM   #1

Default The Past Few Days...

Haven't had a whole lot of chances to get much processed with business trips and all the past several days, but I did get a chance for a few hours to go over some files captured last Saturday at Fossil Rim Wildlife Preserve when I took Katherine there to go on a photo-specific tour, meaning a safari-like open-air vehicle with a canopy and the drive lasted four hours, giving us lots of time and many angles to capture just about anything we wanted, so long as we stayed in the vehicle.

When I started looking at all the image files, a lot of them started looking the same (animals everywhere) so I was very picky in whitling down what I wound up processing, all of which were captured with the E-M5 and the 75-300, with a few landscapes captured using the newest version of the 12-50 I recently picked up.

When I process the raw files in ACR, I open them up in Photoshop and "save as" so I can see the file size before saving. I typically save at the full "12" maximum quality setting unless the resulting JPEG would be too big. This first file, I was going to save using file quality "12", but at 24MB, would have been the biggest JPEG I would have ever saved. How in the world does one wind up with a 24MB "compressed" JPEG from a 16MP camera .

I wound up using the "10" setting to get it down to "only" 14MB..

Was in LA on Tuesday and Wednesday visiting a client. Took the E-M5, but all I had time to record with the camera was this image as we took off over the Pacific before turning around to head back to Dallas, using the 12mm f2 set to the snap mode and focussed at infinity..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Oct 26, 2012 at 11:17 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2012, 5:32 PM   #2

G'day Greg

You state

... in Photoshop and "save as" .... I typically save at the full "12" maxumim quality setting .... This first file was going to save using file quality "12", at 24MB, would have been the biggest JPEG I would have ever saved. How in the world does one wind up with a 24MB JPEG from a 16MP camera . I wound up using the "10" setting to get it down to "only" 14MB..

Yeah - I have often experienced the case where PS / PSE does a 12/12 save and creates a file larger than the original. Dunno the full reasons for it unless it's tied up with PS metadata ??

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 1:15 AM   #3

Greg..... I've recently been trying to find why After Shot Pro (Bibble) was producing extremely large jpg files off the RAW process. Some of the files are 25-30 MB from the P3.

Today I shot a park with the e-300 & 9-18 with a few from the 35 MACRO. You may recall that the E-300 makes RAW files all the same size and my camera makes them at 14.1 MB, all of them.

Well, the E-300 RAW files typically convert to jpg files 12-10 to less MB but today's files run 12-24MB (from the 8MB E-300).

So, it is interesting to me that you question exactly what I have been talking to myself about....... I am confused about this, the only thing I am doing different is that now I shoot everything in manual mode. All the car photos I've made this year are 20+ MB jpg, 100% of them done from the P3 @ manual mode.

I just checked file sizes from when I was shooting AP/SP and those files are about 25-50 % of the current sizes..... Still confused!

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:15 AM   #4

Oh no! I've been out-elked!
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:21 PM   #5

Nice series, Greg.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote