Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 26, 2012, 4:21 PM   #1

Default focus peaking on OM-D?

I saw an interesting article on a focus peaking hack for the OM-D. Since I don't have an OM-D yet, I thought I'd throw it out to see if anyone wants to give it a try and report the experience.

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/10/25/...aking-feature/
D B Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:19 PM   #2

It's a trick or a technique, not a "hack" since nothing on the camera is changed or modified from manufacturer's specs.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 1:23 AM   #3

Default OK

Um....OK.....It's a trick or technique. It is still interesting, and I hope someone will try it and report the results. I have never been 100% happy with digital manual focusing. I miss the micro-prism and split-ring aids of the antiques. I also miss the stop-down focusing. The magnified focus section doesn't work well with long telephotos. Focus peaking sounds like a very good thing to me. A digital tool for digital focusing in the digital age. I'm sure it will be included in the next OM-D, if it isn't in the current one.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:15 AM   #4

Depends on who owns the patent on the concept of "focus peaking" and if Olympus is willing to pay them.

Now that this is out, the patent holder may ask Olympus to remove that art filter, or pay up.

Last edited by Mikefellh; Oct 28, 2012 at 3:03 AM. Reason: Corrected typo
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:30 AM   #5

Now that Olympus and Sony are so tied at the hip, I would expect certain features from both systems that are more efficient than the other possesses will "cross over" to the other side as new models are introduced. Maybe, possibly, this is one Olympus could benefit from with Sony.

I rarely manually focus.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 3:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by D B Cooper View Post
I miss the micro-prism and split-ring aids of the antiques. I also miss the stop-down focusing.
I thought similar, until I started playing with an old OM...then I was so glad to be back using the OM-D.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:29 AM   #7

Yeah, the split prism was "ok", especially with fast primes. Do you ever remember it half-blacking out with slower zooms if the light was just right? Boy, I do.

Using a true rangefinder was the best manual focus experience I ever had.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 3:10 PM   #8

I was kind of old school, so I didn't have any of those newfangled zoom lenses. I had a 28, 50, and 200. I also had a 500 mirror lens that never quite worked out very satisfactorily. The 500 required careful eye placement to get the split screen to work well, but the matte screen worked well all the time as long as you weren't in a hurry. The 500 was usually on a tripod anyway, so it didn't matter much. The 200 focused quickly and naturally, even when tracking moving objects. The 50 worked perfectly as you would expect from any normal lens.

I actually didn't mind manual focusing with the old cameras. It took some practice of course.