Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 12, 2012, 8:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
My will finally broke and I just pushed the button on a used Panny 20mm. I ALWAYS have buyers' remorse because I feel guilty about spending money on such things, but I'm sure it will be great. It was a good deal. I DO worry that I should have gotten something further away from the 14mm, but I think I can probably sell it back to someone for close to the price I paid if it comes down to that. I'm catching up to the state of the m43 art from like three years ago!
Think about the two more in terms of their equivalent 35mm field of view (28mm vs. 40mm), and it's actually a pretty good set of focal lengths to use together.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 2:23 PM   #12

I sold my epl1 just so I wouldn't have to purchase their expensive lenses and bought myself an dslr instead. The prices of these lenses are ridiculous.
Krichton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 4:58 PM   #13

There are times when I wish I would have kept my Canon 40D DSLR with the three Canon lenses I had but there is no going back now, I'm not starting over again. I do like the reduced bulk of the M43 cameras and lenses. I'm now using a smaller bag and still pack the camera and three lenses.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 5:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krichton View Post
I sold my epl1 just so I wouldn't have to purchase their expensive lenses and bought myself an dslr instead. The prices of these lenses are ridiculous.
Eh, it's fine if you don't need the newest and brightest. I can shove it in a coat pocket, get it through lines at the Park without questions, etc.

Hopefully, as new models come out, the prices will gradually go down because people have more choice. It's already doing that a bit--I got this (used) for around 280, which would have been impossible just a few months ago. It didn't seem like you'd be able to even sniff one until around 350 or so.

That said, I don't understand how 50mm /1.7-2.0ish was the standard given-out-free-with-the-camera lens "back in the day" but you'll be paying a premium for that now.

Last edited by SammyKhalifa; Nov 20, 2012 at 5:17 PM.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 8:49 PM   #15

Quote:
as trollish your 7th post may be. it is certainly a fact that there are more lower priced options for lenses for Canon and Nikon. A good amount of those options are not so great, where as micro four thirds has less options but very few if any are losers with the majority winners.

If you want to go budget and maximize your lens gear for your bucks then a DSLR will get you there.

Most people chose mirror less for other reasons. I can toss my camera and three primes in my jacket pockets and shoot more shots than someone fiddling about with their dslr bag and maybe not able to get the shot because they're using the slow zoom that came with their dslr. True story I was in a slot canyon with my family and another couple, the other guy had a dslr with a tripod and I had my e-pl2 with a monopod. I spent more time moving and shooting and he spent more time setting up. When we'd come to a spot where there was a step up or down he'd have to hand his gear to his wife, I on the other hand was not so impeded. End of the day the difference in cost between my kit and his EOS T3i was probably not much and mine might well have been more expensive, but the ease with which I carried and used mine in comparison to him well you guessed it, that was priceless
Old Nov 25, 2012, 3:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Eh, it's fine if you don't need the newest and brightest. I can shove it in a coat pocket, get it through lines at the Park without questions, etc.

Hopefully, as new models come out, the prices will gradually go down because people have more choice. It's already doing that a bit--I got this (used) for around 280, which would have been impossible just a few months ago. It didn't seem like you'd be able to even sniff one until around 350 or so.

That said, I don't understand how 50mm /1.7-2.0ish was the standard given-out-free-with-the-camera lens "back in the day" but you'll be paying a premium for that now.
I don't see the prices coming down soon enough to make a difference, at least to me. I don't have time to wait years for that to happen. Another reason why I sold my epl1 was because the kit lens was so awful. I was going to purchase the panasonic one separately, but I needed a complete camera quickly for an event. I had no idea how bad the kit lens was, and you'll find little information online about it's faults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
as trollish your 7th post may be. it is certainly a fact that there are more lower priced options for lenses for Canon and Nikon. A good amount of those options are not so great, where as micro four thirds has less options but very few if any are losers with the majority winners.

If you want to go budget and maximize your lens gear for your bucks then a DSLR will get you there.

Most people chose mirror less for other reasons. I can toss my camera and three primes in my jacket pockets and shoot more shots than someone fiddling about with their dslr bag and maybe not able to get the shot because they're using the slow zoom that came with their dslr. True story I was in a slot canyon with my family and another couple, the other guy had a dslr with a tripod and I had my e-pl2 with a monopod. I spent more time moving and shooting and he spent more time setting up. When we'd come to a spot where there was a step up or down he'd have to hand his gear to his wife, I on the other hand was not so impeded. End of the day the difference in cost between my kit and his EOS T3i was probably not much and mine might well have been more expensive, but the ease with which I carried and used mine in comparison to him well you guessed it, that was priceless
I'm sorry that you were so offended by my frugality when it comes to Olympus lenses. Maybe you should report my post to Steve. He'll take care of my cheap ass then!
Old Nov 25, 2012, 6:33 PM   #17

Talking

Quote:
I don't see the prices coming down soon enough to make a difference, at least to me. I don't have time to wait years for that to happen. Another reason why I sold my epl1 was because the kit lens was so awful. I was going to purchase the panasonic one separately, but I needed a complete camera quickly for an event. I had no idea how bad the kit lens was, and you'll find little information online about it's faults.

I'm sorry that you were so offended by my frugality when it comes to Olympus lenses. Maybe you should report my post to Steve. He'll take care of my cheap ass then!
I am sorry your mastery of the English language is so poor that you thought i was offended. I called your post what it was, trollish, and then conceded that there are more low cost options for dslr. Honestly though I tend to think that the good lenses are pretty comparable price wise. Just like in the film days you can buy all sorts of junk lenses to put on your dslr. In the end my point was that most of us became m43 users for size/weight considerations, again something you would have understood if you read the post.

Last edited by ramcewan; Nov 25, 2012 at 6:38 PM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 7:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
I am sorry your mastery of the English language is so poor that you thought i was offended. I called your post what it was, trollish, and then conceded that there are more low cost options for dslr. Honestly though I tend to think that the good lenses are pretty comparable price wise. Just like in the film days you can buy all sorts of junk lenses to put on your dslr. In the end my point was that most of us became m43 users for size/weight considerations, again something you would have understood if you read the post.
I did not misunderstand anything. I just gave my opinion on why I never ventured into purchasing lenses for my camera. Why is this trollish? The irony here is that you are the one who has incredibly poor reading comprehension, or just comprehension in general. Personally attacking me because I think m43 lenses are too expensive is hilarious! It seems to me that you are very offended and angered by people who simply disagree with you. The best part is that you don't even seem to realize it, hence the lack of comprehension I mentioned earlier.

Perhaps it's best you join a Olympus fan site instead of coming here. Heck, create your own forum where you can make everyone agree with you. People who are easily offended by different opinions don't do well on an open forum. This board isn't just for Olympus fan boys.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 8:52 AM   #19

By the way, most of the online sites are running a black friday/cybermonday sale on the two Sigma lenses (150 for either one). They're supposed to be really sharp but just not as fast as the Panny/Oly equivalents. I wish they'd start making more m43 lenses. I think part of the problem is that those two companies are the only game in town until you start getting into crazy expensive voightlander-type stuff.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 9:11 AM   #20

Quote:
By the way, most of the online sites are running a black friday/cybermonday sale on the two Sigma lenses (150 for either one). They're supposed to be really sharp but just not as fast as the Panny/Oly equivalents. I wish they'd start making more m43 lenses. I think part of the problem is that those two companies are the only game in town until you start getting into crazy expensive voightlander-type stuff.
That's a good deal and the point about 3rd party makers is true, however Sigma really created those lenses to go on the Sony Nex series which have even fewer choices. They have stated that they would release some m43 specific lenses at some time which means they could be smaller and or faster.

As an aside if you think m43 lenses are expensive look at the Zeiss glass for Sony Nex, for example

the Sony-Zeiss 24mm f1.4 is $1099
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...la&cagpspn=pla

comparatively the Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 is a deal at $499
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...mmilux_25.html

And just to put in perspective the top of the line Canon 24mm f1.4 is $1599
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...f_1_4L_II.html

In all fairness I suppose it would be better to compare it to the Canon 50mm f1.4 which is as Krichton I am sure will be happy to note cheapest yet at $339
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Autofocus.html