Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 2, 2012, 2:27 PM   #1

Default Now that we choices, let's talk about them; EM-5, E-PL5, E-PM2

I really like the OM-D EM-5 however now that we have the updated PEN models announced I am gravitating to the E-PL5 as early IQ reports indicate it at least matches the EM-5.

So what am I missing?
  • EM-5 adds a EVF, but I already own the VF-2 so I don't need an EV-F and as of late I have been shooting more and more sans VF-2. I think if I had a tilt screen the two reasons I'd still use the VF-2 are for telephoto work and super bright sunshine.
  • EM-5 has 5-axis IBIS as well as EVF stabilization... more is better, but is it a deal breaker? for me probably not.
  • EM-5 has weather sealing, yeah a real nice to have feature but there are very few weather sealed lenses so I question the true value here.

so at $650 body only the E-PL5 sounds like a great deal for me... I also really like the self portrait mode that the tilt screen supports, I can imagine it being very handy for family portraits or the occasional hold the camera at arms length to capture a candid shot of the wife and I ...

and then we have the E-PM2 coming in at $100 less with $550 for body only... which is just an outstanding value, I know I can live without the dedicated mode dial but the tilting touch screen is such a nice feature it is well worth the $100 to me for the E-PL5.
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2012, 4:37 PM   #2

I know this belongs in that other forum () but the G5 looks pretty nice too. I like the big grip. For now though I'll stick to the e-pl2 because it's still way better at its job than I am at mine.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 9:03 PM   #3

The E-PL5 is using the EM5 sensor, but without an AA filter, so the image quality should be excellent.

I don't shoot m43; but instead shoot regular 4/3. My E-3 and lens are fully weatherproof; and I could not do without that. I have been caught in soaking downpours enough to know its worth. But if you don't need weatherproofing, the EPL5 is a bargain way to get the EM5 sensor.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:54 AM   #4

Sammy - the G5 is nice for a mini-dslr like experience. Personally I prefer the rangefinder form factor of the PEN series.

Steven - I hear ya loud and clear about weather sealing on the E-M5 ... I can imagine it only takes one mistake to make it clearly worth the added cost but again with all my existing lenses for mft being not weather sealed the value proposition isn't there for me.

On the low pass anti-alias filter comment... I have heard this before but I have yet to see any definitive proof that IQ is better on the E-PL5 then the E-M5 as a result. As seems to be the case with most Olympus rumors it is based on a comment by an exec somewhere versus an official pr... not saying it isn't true but just taking it with a grain of salt.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 3:12 PM   #5

Hi Andrew,

My initial reaction to the release of the EPL-5 was much like yours. The price is easier for me to swallow, the fact that it has the same sensor( as well as bunch of other features) as the E-M5 is also important.

But, when the rubber meets the road, the E-M5, in my mind, is the better tool for me. I say this because;

Unlike the E-PL5, the E-M5 has a built-in EVF viewfinder. This is important to me in a number of ways. First, I use E-P2 and use the VF-2 viewfinder with it. The VF-2 is great, but it's a royal pain when it decides to slip out of the channel. Since I ALWAYS use a viewfinder, taking the VF-2 off to add a flash unit is a problem for me.Obviously, with the E-M5 this is a non-issue.

The fact that I can add a battery grip to the E-M5 is also important to me. I tend to use a lot of different lenses (non - micro 43). Having a battery grip would balance the larger lenses I would mount to the body.

A lot of my non-m43 lenses are water resistant or even weather sealed. Since I do the bulk of my shooting near the ocean, that's a consideration for me.

I prefer the "skin" of the E-M5. It is just a better 'look' & feel.

Now, all I have to do is be patient and wait for the E-M5 replacement.
That should bring the price of the E-M5 down to a price point I can accept.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 7:54 PM   #6

.....for me, I am just plain getting tired of messing around to keep certain the VF-2 stays on the camera, actually I now have mine leashed to the P3 with a rubber-band because two times I've needed to backtrack to look for/find it.

So, for me it is all about the EVF and the E-M5 or E-M? is what I will opt for in time. I don't have but one m43 lens and for what & how I shoot my FT lenses are quite acceptable and as Zig said, adding a grip to an E-M5 would make handling a bit better though I find all but my 50-200 easy enough on the P3, I doubt I would like using my lenses on any of the other current PENS but for the E-M5.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 8:51 PM   #7

Think I will stick with the clip on viewfinder on my e-pl1 -- how could one give up on that Mighty Flash that is built in. I can live with popping on a flash, but not at the expense of losing the viewfinder, so the E-M5 wins on that point.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 7:58 AM   #8

Zig and Bob you both make compelling cases for the EM-5 being worth the extra bucks and when you consider the inability to use the flash and VF-2 you have a negative in the e-pl5 column (also pointed out by Kula)

I use my VF-2 fairly often but have yet to experience the issues you guys have with it. For me if I am using the vf-2 I have the crumpler 4 million dollar home bag with me and the camera goes back into it when I am not shooting, vf-2 still attached. Lately I have been carrying the camera to work and back in my laptop bag with body cap on and the 14mm and the 25mm in an old leather lens case. When I started doing this I stopped bringing the VF-2.

In the end I am torn, if the EM-5 was $200 more it would be a no-brainer but at a $350 differential it is the cost of a 45mm f1.8 lens difference. I suppose if I factor in selling the VF-2 for $150 the difference is more palatable.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 9:09 AM   #9

Since I cannot afford either model at this time, I give my PL2 a little pat on the behind once in a while. :-) I, like Ramce, never had an issue with my VF2 slipping off the shoe.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 9:17 AM   #10

......oh yeah, my VF-2 now is 'free hinging' too!

Last week I noticed something strange when VF-2 viewing for a composition, "....what I was looking for wasn't happening."

The little-bitty tick-turd that snaps the VF-2 closed, it ain't there no more, snapped away, gone, now the VF-2 moves up-n-down freely and I must constantly be aware of that too, plus the rubber band 'keep-it-attached' garbenstangel.

My next & probably soon camera will have a 'built-in-viewfinder' whatever brand/series the camera is, Oly to Fuji to Leica, NO MORE VF addons.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote