Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 8, 2012, 4:15 PM   #1

Default First Snow of the year

first_snow_2012 by ramcewan, on Flickr

[email protected] 1/160 handheld
I took the raw and converted processed through HDR software to create a faux hdr which I then processed a bit more in GIMP.
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2012, 5:05 PM   #2

Definitely looks cold. It's not that I hate snow....it's fine so long as I don't have to get out and drive in it, but that seems to always be the case so yes, I guess I do HATE snow. I like our 70's temperatures of today better, or next week when it's supposed to drop all the way to the 50's for highs .

A 25 prime is a good compromise focal length. So long as the weather permits, I'd much rather be using the 12/25/60 prime combination over the 12-50 zoom, but you certainly can't beat the zoom when something's falling out of the sky, so long as the item falling is not a meteor or plane....
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 7:44 AM   #3

No (accumulating) snow here yet, but I've had to scrape frost off of my car every morning all week. It's made for some pretty sunrises on the drive to work, but at 6:30 or seven in the morning I'm in no kind of humor for photography.

SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 8:37 AM   #4

Sammy - you really should try bringing the camera with you and hopping out of the car for a few minutes or even snapping from within the car ... as Zig says in his signature

"So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you."

In my mind the first step in doing this is to get out as often as possible and try to capture something... I look for spots on my way to work that might be interesting since I don't have time to go somewhere out of the way. This shot above was taken at a field I pass on the way to work every morning.

Greg - I hear you about the cold ... each year I am getting less and less fond of the winter ... right now it's not so bad it was 1/2 melted by the afternoon and should be all gone by this afternoon as it's going to be 50 and sunny ...

The 25mm f2.8 is quickly becoming my favorite all around lens. I'm selling my 14-42mm II kit lens, 40mm f1.8 Hex, 50mm f2.0 Jupiter-8 and some other odds and ends to fund the purchase of an Olympus 45mm f1.8 which will give me a 14/25/45 prime setup along with the Panny 45-200 and Oly 70-300mm ...

Back to this photo ... because I knew the snow would be gone quickly and wanted to capture something I did take a bunch of brackets and different settings but without the tripod none of the brackets were good enough for traditional HDR which led me to use the HDR software to pull what I could out of the RAW and add the dramatic lighting which highlights the trees in right middleground and gives extra definition to the snow in the field.

This is the SOOC JPEG shot corresponding to the RAW shot used for the above shot, as you can see it is pretty flat and boring.

PB086880 by ramcewan, on Flickr

Here's another example I just did this morning of using HDR software to bring out more from the shadows of the photo.

the original shot after much post processing

P6083592_1 by ramcewan, on Flickr

The same shot with the RAW first put through HDR processing and then some light post processing

P6083592_tonemapped_pp by ramcewan, on Flickr
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:30 AM   #5

Haha, I agree. I just can't seem to convince myself of that before coffee.

My camera's in the car almost all of the time . . . I do wonder if that will be such a good idea when the temperatures get colder though.

I do like your HDR version though I suppose "purists" won't like the processing. Bah, I say. Every photo is processed. I like what it does to the shadows in the snow. Have you thought about trying a B&W version, though? I think it might be interesting.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 1:24 PM   #6

I like what it does to both the sky and the foreground with the snow, but the transition into the brush is a bit off putting. I wonder if you toned down the middle, if it would look more natural?
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote