Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 9, 2012, 4:32 PM   #1

Default Faster buffer write? RAW or JPEG

Normally I shoot RAW + JPEG for the maximum flexibility to either pick the JPEG as is or post process the RAW till I am happy. I am using a class 10 SD card.

A couple weekends back I went to my Daughter's cheer competition and was shooting in burst mode to capture the action. I found that the first 5-6 shots were fast and then the cache would fill and things would get slow. It would then take a few seconds to finish writing the cache before it would do another burst. Since a cheer routine is a short 2-3 minutes of cheoriographed madness there isn't much time to wait in between bursts.

So this weekend coming up is the big competition and I am wondering if it faster to shoot just RAW or just JPEG? my preference is to shoot RAW but if it is going to be significantly faster I can live with the JPEG only.
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2012, 6:24 PM   #2

Doing raw+jpeg will definitely slow you down the most. You could always just shoot raw and obtain basically a jpeg equivalent running the file through Olympus Viewer with little extra effort.

Try doing short bursts of around 3-4 images at a time. It may work ok with just the raw files.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 6:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
Normally I shoot RAW + JPEG for the maximum flexibility to either pick the JPEG as is or post process the RAW till I am happy. I am using a class 10 SD card.

A couple weekends back I went to my Daughter's cheer competition and was shooting in burst mode to capture the action. I found that the first 5-6 shots were fast and then the cache would fill and things would get slow. It would then take a few seconds to finish writing the cache before it would do another burst. Since a cheer routine is a short 2-3 minutes of cheoriographed madness there isn't much time to wait in between bursts.

So this weekend coming up is the big competition and I am wondering if it faster to shoot just RAW or just JPEG? my preference is to shoot RAW but if it is going to be significantly faster I can live with the JPEG only.

I used to shoot both until I started finding what you're noticing. Just RAW is a lot faster than RAW+JPG. It takes a lot longer to bog down and recovers faster. My guess is that jpeg is faster than RAW but not by much. I'd rather have just RAW than just JPG. Some of the JPGs were pretty good and probably better than what I would have done, but more often I find the Olympus JPGs a bit over the top color wise (and of course you don't have the flexibility of RAW).
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 6:27 PM   #4

well raw will fill up allot faster then jpeg. Raws are much larger files. If you want not to wait jpeg will give you more burst rate freedom.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 8:58 PM   #5

Thanks guys. I will do a test in the morning between jpeg and raw but it sounds like, from your experiences, doing one or the other instead of both will make a difference.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 9:16 PM   #6

I agree with only shooting RAW and have never had a buffer problem shooting burst of 3-5 from any of my cameras.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 1:42 PM   #7

Cheer comp yesterday and they won state JV champs!

found that I got much better burst performance shooting RAW only and was able to run it through olympus viewer in batch to JPEG from there I selected some JPEGs to further edit in GIMP or in some cases went back to the RAW and redeveloped the image.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 9:56 PM   #8

Cool. Congrats!

I kinda thought that's how it would turn out (the camera, not the competition).
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote