Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 12, 2012, 7:07 PM   #1

Default Some birds with the 45-200

The slower moving they are, the better.

I make fun of myself because I must of taken about a thousand pictures of ducks that all basically look the same. Every once in a while there's a (semi) interesting one though.

Mid-quack spit bubbles:

B&W seagulls. Black and white ("Blue High-Contrast filter" preset in LR) . . .

partly because I thought it was more dramatic, partly because it made the blue handrail look a little less disgusting.

Last edited by SammyKhalifa; Nov 12, 2012 at 7:16 PM.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:26 PM   #2

These are really fun and well done images. Fun to see the mallard drake getting some quack time too.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 7:08 AM   #3

I really like what you have done with the gulls, the depth effect created by the zoom lens adds a great deal as does the way the first one is turned the other way.

Also there is a rule in photography that if you see a duck you should take a picture of it, so good job there too, the catch light in the eyes of the male (drake - green head) is great.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
I really like what you have done with the gulls, the depth effect created by the zoom lens adds a great deal as does the way the first one is turned the other way.

Also there is a rule in photography that if you see a duck you should take a picture of it, so good job there too, the catch light in the eyes of the male (drake - green head) is great.
I agree. Good job.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 1:39 PM   #5

Thanks guys. I like that one too. Someone suggested to me that I try to "clone" out the one other gull that's looking the other direction. That would look neat, but I think I'm going to leave it. I either don't have the right software or the right knowledge to do it well anyhow.

I have almost as many duck pictures as I do of Canadian geese. Those things just stay here year round anymore. They're like pigeons these days--giant, dirty, mean pigeons.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 4:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Thanks guys. I like that one too. Someone suggested to me that I try to "clone" out the one other gull that's looking the other direction. That would look neat, but I think I'm going to leave it. I either don't have the right software or the right knowledge to do it well anyhow.
No, no. Don't try to clone it out. IMHO it is the bird out of step with the others which adds a unique interest to the pose.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
No, no. Don't try to clone it out. IMHO it is the bird out of step with the others which adds a unique interest to the pose.

Yeah, they take direction pretty well, don't they.

I tried to see what I could do with the one towards the back just to see if I could do it (not to replace this image) and failed miserably. Really, all I really did with this was change it to black and white and crop it to 16x9; and unlike other shots that I agonize over, I like it just fine the way it is. There's something weird going on with the out-of-focus areas of the birds in the front's legs, but what that is is over my head anyhow.