Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 14, 2012, 7:15 AM   #21

I have taken hundreds of shots, none of which I've kept. Pictures lack clarity. I am always getting the shaky camera symbol no matter how still I try to hold the camera...and I have tried very hard, even bracing it on something. I did notice yesterday that the flash didn't employ, even when it had told me to raise the flash. It did work a few shots later though, so maybe something wrong there? I allow for user error, but honestly, if this camera is so "difficult" for easy shooting, then it's not for me.I loved my old Canon and bought this model due to it's size, grip etc...it seemed perfect for me. I don't know if there's something wrong with the camera, or me, but I'm very disappointed with it....
SharonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 7:24 AM   #22

Dear Sharon,

As much as I like the E-PL1 and would like to recommend it unconditionally, the reality is that any camera you buy will have it's pluses and minuses.

The most important thing that you can do is to read the manual in order to understand how to get the most out of it. Also, if you're serious about improving the image quality of your photographs, buy a book on the basics of digital photography. Better yet, join a local camera club- if there is one in your area.

Lastly, taking a digital photograph usually means you need to do a little bit of photo editing using a simple software package. A case in point, one of your photos quickly edited in photoshop:

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 7:39 AM   #23

I have edited photos, using Photoshop, but for purposes here of choosing a camera that is close to what I want, I showed the photo as taken. Thanks for the improvement though...
To compare shots with the Canon, here are some just taken. Different bird though...

See the "blurriness" .......I hate that, and every shot I take of the birds is like that.
Attached Images

Last edited by SharonC; Nov 14, 2012 at 7:42 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 7:48 AM   #24

Your photos show the results of what can happen when the camera is set to auto mode. When auto mode is used, the camera decides where or what to focus on which doesn't necessarily match up with what YOU would like it to focus on.

The multi colored rope, to the left of the bird, is what the camera auto focus system decided to focus on, not the bird. Also, if the camera had been set to Aperture "A" setting and an aperture of f8 might have been used, the results would have been a photo with more depth of field. More of the photograph would have been in focus.

I forgot to add that the rope and surrounding area is clean and sharp while the bird is not may be be due to your camera setting the shutter speed to a setting that is too slow. Birds move and the surrounding area is static which could explain the bird being blurred.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.

Last edited by zig-123; Nov 14, 2012 at 7:53 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 7:58 AM   #25

Ok...I'm currently using Auto mode on both cameras. Auto mode is supposedly easier for people, like me, who don't know about apertures, shutter speeds etc. The little green icon tells me I'm focused on the birds beak, but then actually focuses on the rope? The info says, let the camera do the work. The photos taken with the small inexpensive Olympus took fairly clear pics...the Canon didn't. Same user, same lack of technical knowledge. I may never want to use anything but Auto mode.

Last edited by SharonC; Nov 14, 2012 at 8:11 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 8:19 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonC View Post
Ok...I'm currently using Auto mode on both cameras. Auto mode is supposedly easier for people, like me, who don't know about apertures, shutter speeds etc. The info says, let the camera do the work. The photos taken with the small inexpensive Olympus took fairly clear pics...the Canon didn't. Same user, same lack of technical knowledge. I may never want to use anything but Auto mode.
Hi Sharon,

There is nothing wrong with setting a camera to auto mode and using it for the bulk of your photographs. Taking photos of static subjects; flowers, landscapes, people( who agree to sit still for you ) etc. should and can be done quite well with a camera set to auto. It's when you start taking a photo of moving subjects, in your case, your birds that auto usually presents a problem. In large measure, because when set to auto, the camera calculates the amount of light it "sees" and then sets the shutter speed and aperture that will provide the best photo. Unfortunately, it doesn't account for the bird's ability to move. an out of focus bird is usually the result.

The E-PL1 is a great camera for taking photographs of static subjects. Equipped with the right lens, it takes wonderful macro images. The color and quality that the camera can produce will put a smile on your face.
BUT, when taking photos of birds, you will most likely be disappointed in your results. The camera's auto focus system is too slow to respond.

I own and use an E-P2 which utilizes the same sensor as the E-PL1. I take a lot of floral images and print them as large as 18" x 24". For it's intended purpose, it is remarkable. For birding etc. I use a totally different system.

Here are a couple of images which show what you can get out of the E-PL1:

I hope I'm not frustrating you

Old Nov 14, 2012, 8:44 AM   #27

The simple reason the canon is not not meet what you are uses to is the simple fact the olympus has the best jpeg engine on the market. And while the canon is good, you do need to do some work to them to get them to the jpeg level of the olympus. The can will work but invest some time in post production editing of your photos and you will get the results you seek with the canon.

Love the epl1 but like other say, it does not sound like you really need an interchangeable lens camera.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 8:45 AM   #28

Quote:
I have edited photos, using Photoshop, but for purposes here of choosing a camera that is close to what I want, I showed the photo as taken. Thanks for the improvement though...
To compare shots with the Canon, here are some just taken. Different bird though...

See the "blurriness" .......I hate that, and every shot I take of the birds is like that.
The main issue with these shots are the focus point. The camera pick the wrong spot to focus on the bird.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 9:44 AM   #29

zig 123...don't worry, you're not frustrating me, as I was frustrated days ago! I appreciate the help!

I understand what you are saying about still shots. Levi, the Linnie in the photo, always cooperates when the camera comes out. He usually does hold still, and did in that photo. I suppose his head may have moved to such a small degree that it was not noticeable....I'm still not convinced that there is not something wrong with this particular camera. When I purchased it, it was the first day of a sale on this model. There were none on the shelves...odd. The salesman went in back to get me one. I don't suppose he gave me one that had been returned.

Those photos of yours are stunning! I'd love to be able to do that! Decision made...I'm getting the E PL1! I do realize that the camera alone will not get me results like yours, though.

My main frustration with this Canon is that I never get a good shot, although I have been focusing mostly on birds. Hundreds of shots and not one good one. I did read that the reviews for Canon SX500 image quality is a 3 out of 5...
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:47 AM   #30

Quote:
I was thinking of around $400-$500, considering that I just want to point and shoot. I'd like to hear the alternatives, as I'm fairly flexible if need be with the cost, but I'm not interested in a complicated setup.

I actually just got out my husband's Olympus D720...took a few shots that were better than what I've been taking on the CanonSX500.
If that is your budget I would consider a good point and shoot with a lens that would suit your needs. Your budget probably wouldn't allow to to buy different lenses for it but I do not know this, just guessing. The Canon G12 is a very nice camera and B&H has it on sale right now for 379.00 with free shipping but the offer ends 11/21/12. It has macro capabilities and will focus down to 0.4". I had a G9 years ago and I loved it. Took very nice sharp pictures.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html