Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:20 AM   #31

Just wondering what camera replaces the old A540?

James, if I purchase the EPL1, and I then decide to get a little more "into" photography, my budget will allow me to do that. We are very comfortably retired. I just don't want to waste money on a camera that will do more than I will ever need. Right now, I have more hobbies than time...(seven birds), including an Amazon who needs a lot of time, three fish tanks, reading, walking, gardening, snowmobiling, boating, fishing... and doing anything other than taking pics in Auto mode doesn't appeal to me right now. Do you recommend the Canon G12 over the Olympus?

Last edited by SharonC; Nov 14, 2012 at 10:23 AM.
SharonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:37 AM   #32

Sharon,

I don't think you can go wrong with a E-PL1 w/ the 14-42mm lens (which is equal to a 28-84mm because the Pen has a 2X crop). That combination will work very well for most situations, the only thing you may not be completely satisfied with is it's macro ability. You can always pick up a macro lens if that's the case.

I think the E-PL1 is the best deal I've found, and I am very happy with my camera. I also have the 14-42mm lens, but I use manual focus, legacy lenses more than I do the kit lens.

I also think the Olympus XZ-1 would be another good camera for you if you don't want to deal with changing lenses. I also have a Olympus SZ-12 that I like, it has a nice sized grip for a compact, and has 24X zoom, but I'd probably buy the SZ-31 MR if I were doing it again.
OscarTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:40 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonC View Post
Just wondering what camera replaces the old A540?

James, if I purchase the EPL1, and I then decide to get a little more "into" photography, my budget will allow me to do that. We are very comfortably retired. I just don't want to waste money on a camera that will do more than I will ever need. Right now, I have more hobbies than time...(seven birds), including an Amazon who needs a lot of time, three fish tanks, reading, walking, gardening, snowmobiling, boating, fishing... and doing anything other than taking pics in Auto mode doesn't appeal to me right now. Do you recommend the Canon G12 over the Olympus?
It depends on what you want to do with it. Sounds like you will always shoot in auto and you want macro capability. If you are not interested in changing lenses I would go with the Canon G12 with macro capability. A camera like the Olympus E-PL2 with its 14-42mm kit zoom isn't much bigger and less expensive than the G12 at this time, and it has a considerably larger sensor than the Canon G12which would give you quite a bit more light gathering capability. Adorama has a few of these left that are going for 299.00 with lens. http://www.adorama.com/IOMEPL2B14.html
I have an EPL-2 and I love it. Bad thing is that I bought it shortly after it was introduced and I paid well over 500 for it.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:50 AM   #34

OK...Decision made. I'm going with the E PL1 or E PL 2...

I am now going to stop trying this Canon further, as I'm wasting an awful lot of time with it this week! I just placed the camera on a table, focussed, got the green icon but still the shaky camera symbol. This is very weird. I'm returning it tomorrow, and ordering the Olympus....Thanks so very much for putting up with my incessant questions!

James, the E PL2 listed in the link you posted is used...am I correct?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:14 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonC View Post
OK...Decision made. I'm going with the E PL1 or E PL 2...

I am now going to stop trying this Canon further, as I'm wasting an awful lot of time with it this week! I just placed the camera on a table, focussed, got the green icon but still the shaky camera symbol. This is very weird. I'm returning it tomorrow, and ordering the Olympus....Thanks so very much for putting up with my incessant questions!

James, the E PL2 listed in the link you posted is used...am I correct?
I'm pretty sure it's brand new, there is no condition stated in the ad post. A used product on that site will indicate its condition. Shoot them an email to be sure. I would definitely get that over the EPL1.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:27 PM   #36

Oh...that's an American site...I'm in Canada. I may be just as well off ordering here. Not sure what it would cost to ship, and I suppose there are customs fees....
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:55 PM   #37

The ad states a one year Olympus warranty is included, so it's new. A refurb would only have a 90 day warranty. I'd call them, I'm sure they ship to Canada all the time....eh.

Edit to add: After looking closer, it does not state "one year" warranty, but as James said, if it wasn't new it would say refurbished. That's a great deal for a E-PL2 with the kit lens. If I had seen that, I'd have a E-PL2.

Last edited by OscarTheCat; Nov 14, 2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:56 PM   #38

I have the EPL1 and find it to be a good camera in terms of IQ. However, the AF is on the slow side (not so good to photograph action) and the LCD is mediocre to say the least. The lens is decent for a kit but it only offers 3x zoom, so very short range.

A few months ago I bought a Sony HX20 P&S and absolutely love it. Of course IQ is not quite as good as the EPL1 but the differences are only noticeable if you crop the image severely. It offers all sorts of neat features with the sweep panorama being one of my favs. It has 20x zoom in a very compact body. I suggest you check it out.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 1:04 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I have the EPL1 and find it to be a good camera in terms of IQ. However, the AF is on the slow side (not so good to photograph action) and the LCD is mediocre to say the least.......
Have you updated the firmware? My AF is noticeably faster after updating the firmware for both the cam & the lens.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 1:10 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
I'm pretty sure it's brand new, there is no condition stated in the ad post. A used product on that site will indicate its condition. Shoot them an email to be sure. I would definitely get that over the EPL1.
For the price difference I would definitely go with the EPL-2. For one it focuses much faster than the EPL-1. With the E series cameras you can select a focus box where the camera will focus on whatever is in the box and not pick the best focus for the entire scene. This is easily changed with one of the buttons on the wheel located next to the LCD. Because of the magnification created during macro photography, a tripod is always recommended to reduce camera shake.