Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 14, 2012, 1:21 PM   #41

I think the shipping would be $31...not bad, really. What does concern me is the reference to " complicated controls" and a " learning curve to master". Scary words for one of little patience for gadgets. I take it this model is not as "user friendly" as the PL1.
SharonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 1:36 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonC View Post
I think the shipping would be $31...not bad, really. What does concern me is the reference to " complicated controls" and a " learning curve to master". Scary words for one of little patience for gadgets. I take it this model is not as "user friendly" as the PL1.
Both camera models are quite similar and the learning curve relates to how far you want to go with the camera. There are several auto scene modes you can quickly select or just use iAuto. The scene modes are nice because the camera selects the shutter and aperture that would be best for that particular scene. Once you progress you can learn about the other features at your own pace.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 1:47 PM   #43

OK...that doesn't sound too intimidating...Thanks again!!! I really do appreciate the time spent with me!
Old Nov 14, 2012, 2:37 PM   #44

Ok...my daughter just sent me a link but I can't paste it here for some reason. I can get a BLUE PL1 plus lens kit(she double checked) for $149, at a Canadian store. The black is $267. I would prefer Black, but blue is OK. Now, the question is...do I want to spend $299 plus $31 shipping for the PL2...Is the PL2 worth the extra cash, I'm so muddled right now, I can't decide what to have for dinner!!!
Old Nov 14, 2012, 2:46 PM   #45

use the money for the lens instead for the body, lens means more for picture quality then the body.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 2:52 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonC View Post
Ok...my daughter just sent me a link but I can't paste it here for some reason. I can get a BLUE PL1 plus lens kit(she double checked) for $149, at a Canadian store. The black is $267. I would prefer Black, but blue is OK. Now, the question is...do I want to spend $299 plus $31 shipping for the PL2...Is the PL2 worth the extra cash, I'm so muddled right now, I can't decide what to have for dinner!!!
The PL1 is the better buy if you don't care how fast it focuses. It's not dead slow but not as fast as the PL2. I believe the PL2 also has a larger LCD. The lens that comes with the PL1 is the I series and the lens that comes with the PL2 is the improved II series. Both have the same focal ranges.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 2:53 PM   #47

the epl1 is the second series the epl2 is actually the third. The ep1 and ep2 has the original 14-42. The epl1 is not as fast with the AF, but with all the firmware updates for the lens and body. It is a workable lens if you do not shoot action. If you were after more moving shots, I would look at a dslr.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 3:05 PM   #48

The EPL-1 gets a lot of interest lately because it's been discontinued and has been available for as low as $179 new.

It makes a nice "starter" for an interchangeable micro4/3 "system" to build on, but that doesn't sound like what you want, particularly what you call macro.

The P&S acts like it changes lenses when it goes into the macro mode. Most do it automatically. The m4/3 won't do that.. It will need a $400-$600 macro lens and that's all you would normally use it for.

If you like taking photos within @12" of your subject, you'd be a lot better off looking at an Olympus XZ-1 or Panasonic LX-5.

The LX5 has a grip much like the m/4/3 and you'll be giving up the zoom with the m/4/3 kit lens anyway. If I had to give up my micro 4/3, that's the camera I'd have.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 3:18 PM   #49

I have to agree with BBuilder about the fixed lens camera based on everything I've read in this thread. It would come down to 2-3 different high-end models like the LX5, the Sony RX100 my girlfriend has (it is REALLY nice), or the new Olympus XZ-2.

Smaller sensor than the E-PL1 for sure, but image quality is better now than it's ever been in those-type cameras, and the smaller sensor means much more forgiveness in focusing since you have a wider depth of field.

I definitely understand the draw of the E-PL1 at the low, low prices they can be had new. I just don't think as a point & shoot it's going to perform as well as one of the above nicer compacts will.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 3:19 PM   #50

No you do not need to buy a macro lens in the 400 dollar range to achieve what you are after. You can simply buy the macro conversion lens form olympus or panny for 70 dollars for or a canon 500D conversion lens for 90 dollars and attach it to a 14-150 form olympus or the 45-200 from panasonic and it will get the close up shots you want.

These were some test I did with the epl1 with the panny 45-200 and canon 500D macro conversion lens. Just a note a quality conversion lens makes a real difference in image quality. I get similar results with the 14-150 which is my walk around lens now. And it focus quite well with the msc motor on the epl1. Not dslr speed but good for walking around.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...e-up-lens.html

Last edited by shoturtle; Nov 14, 2012 at 3:22 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote