Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 13, 2012, 1:28 PM   #1

Default OlympusEPL1

I've just purchased a CanonSX500 that I am disappointed with and am returning. The Olympus EPL1 has been recommended to me. I want a camera that takes high quality images, sharp and crisp. I like to take Macro shots, pet shots including lots of bird photos, family photos, landscapes....I will probably just be using Auto mode as I'm not a terribly patient person. Opinion requested?
SharonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2012, 2:28 PM   #2

Hi Sharon, you may have a hard time locating a new EPL-1 as that camera has been replaced three times already. The latest model is the EPL-5. You may find an EPL-2 or EPL-3 available. As for macro shots you would have to buy a macro lens for it. These cameras do have the capability to change lenses. The kit lens that is generally included with these cameras does not have macro capability. The macro won't do you much good for bird shots unless you have pet birds and can get up close. You would need a telephoto lens to photograph wild birds.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 2:38 PM   #3

The birds are pets...sorry, I should have specified. I used to take nice bird photos with my old CanonA540. The new Canon is not good...
My daughter has the Olympus EPL1 and she sent me an Amazon link for the same...I assumed they were new/not used cameras. I guess my search has not ended!
Old Nov 13, 2012, 2:58 PM   #4

I would consider the EPL-3, a much improved camera over the EPL-1.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 3:00 PM   #5

I don't know if I can recommend specific vendors here, but there are places that sell REFURBISHED Olympus m 4/3 cameras for a good price. I know you specified unused, but you might want to look into it as all signs say they're good as new (mine came with a warranty too, not sure about all of them). I have a refurbished E-PL2 at a good price.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 3:08 PM   #6

Thanks guys...I just checked and the cameras are new. I will have a look at the EPL3 online. James, can you specify as to what the major differences are? I'm rather simple in my needs, and don't want to spend more than I have to. The advantage to having the same camera as my daughter is that it'll be easier for her to advise if and when I have problems. I've just looked at some instructional video on the EPL1, and it looks rather uncomplicated which is good!

I've just had a quick look at the EPL3 and it doesn't have a grip...I have arthritis, and find the flat cameras hard to hold properly.

Last edited by SharonC; Nov 13, 2012 at 3:11 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 4:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonC View Post
The birds are pets...sorry, I should have specified. I used to take nice bird photos with my old CanonA540. The new Canon is not good...
My daughter has the Olympus EPL1 and she sent me an Amazon link for the same...I assumed they were new/not used cameras. I guess my search has not ended!
The immediate issue I see for you with the Pen system is, which lens do you need for what you want to shoot? The Canon A540 had a built-in lens that covered the equivalent of 35-140mm zoom range. Was that zoom range sufficient for what you wanted to shoot or would you want something wider and/or longer, and is there a budget you want to stay within?

No doubt any "new" E-PL1 set you are looking at today is priced very inexpensively. Other models have passed it by in terms of image quality but will also be more expensive. I could throw out alternatives, but I don't want to do that if they wind up costing more than you would ever consider spending.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Nov 13, 2012 at 5:20 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 5:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonC View Post
Thanks guys...I just checked and the cameras are new. I will have a look at the EPL3 online. James, can you specify as to what the major differences are? I'm rather simple in my needs, and don't want to spend more than I have to. The advantage to having the same camera as my daughter is that it'll be easier for her to advise if and when I have problems. I've just looked at some instructional video on the EPL1, and it looks rather uncomplicated which is good!

I've just had a quick look at the EPL3 and it doesn't have a grip...I have arthritis, and find the flat cameras hard to hold properly.
For what it's worth, from what I've read the different PENs operate the same but the newer ones have new-and-improved "guts."
Old Nov 13, 2012, 6:09 PM   #9

I was thinking of around $400-$500, considering that I just want to point and shoot. I'd like to hear the alternatives, as I'm fairly flexible if need be with the cost, but I'm not interested in a complicated setup.

I actually just got out my husband's Olympus D720...took a few shots that were better than what I've been taking on the CanonSX500.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 6:11 PM   #10

Personally I'd look at a less expensive camera so you have room to get a nice lens. People say mine is old and out of date, but I don't know any better so it looks just great to me.