Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 20, 2012, 5:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
And this 300mm f4 of Zig's is one of the newer ones....an AF-S (I believe) Nikkor, not one of the old manual focus, pre-ED versions that's just a so-so lens.
Hi Greg,

I actually have two versions of the Nikkor 300mm f4; the older ED AF IF version as well as the ED AF-S version. I have never used the older manual focus version. so, can't comment on that unit. But, I can share with anyone interested that the 2 versions above are almost identical in their image quality.
The main difference between the 2 is that the older ED AF version has a minimum focus distance of 8ft while the AFS version can get as close as 5ft.
The other main difference is cost. You can pick up an AF ED for around 450bucks while the AFS will generally sell for around 900bucks.

If you're going to manually focus; which would be my recommendation. Then the AF version at $450 is really a great prime lens at a very attractive price.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 7:45 AM   #12

The older, manual 300's are f4.5 lenses. The original non-ED version was not easy to use as it extended as you focussed closer like traditional non-IF lenses with helicoids. The last ED-IF verion focussed internally and was smaller and easier to handle. Back when I had an F4s system, I had one of the ED-IF models and had it chipped so it could be used in all program modes and utilized the focus confirmation light.

About the time the AFS lenses were coming out was when I sold off my Nikon system. I never owned an AF 300mm Nikkor, just an 80-200mm f2.8.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Nov 20, 2012 at 7:47 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 8:22 AM   #13

Now that is a great bird shot, what detail and the capture time perfect with the seed in his beak. This is one of my better pics but sure doesn't compare to Zigs pic.

Finches0005 by James Gasta, on Flickr
Old Nov 20, 2012, 8:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Now that is a great bird shot, what detail and the capture time perfect with the seed in his beak. This is one of my better pics but sure doesn't compare to Zigs pic.
It makes me want to know what he's looking at off of the top of the frame. Logically I understand that it's probably nothing interesting at all, but it makes the shot more interesting for me.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 8:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
It makes me want to know what he's looking at off of the top of the frame. Logically I understand that it's probably nothing interesting at all, but it makes the shot more interesting for me.
There are usually Barn Hawks flying around here and my guess is that is what he spotted. I used a tripod with a wireless shutter release to take this shot. Finches are a little nervous so you can't get get too close hand holding the camera unless you have a very long lens. Take one step toward the feeder and they are gone.

Last edited by James Emory; Nov 20, 2012 at 10:07 AM.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 9:55 AM   #16

Zig, great shot! the feather definition is amazing and the moment is perfect with nice light on the eye.

It is getting close to bird feeding season at my place and I will be doing much the same with my giant Russian Tair 300mm f4.5 via m42 to m43 adapter, on a tripod pre-focused on the feeder with a wired remote. While I like my 70-300mm I know that it cannot be used on the low light winter afternoons and mornings that the birds favor as effectively as a faster prime.

I noticed that people are now able to access focus peaking on the OM-D and E-PL5, that will be another useful feature.