Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 19, 2012, 2:37 PM   #1

Default Titmouse using a Nikkor 300mm f4 lens

The following is an example of what happens when you clearly have too much time on your hands:

Awhile back, I bought a Nikon to m43 adapter. I've never really used it, but, today decided that it was time. I wanted to see just how difficult it would be to shoot birds with this lens attached to my EP-2.

The adapter makes this a manual focus only lens. But, you can get some decent photo results using this combo. The depth of field is very thin due to the set up I use to take bird photos. Greg has seen it so knows how it's done.

Anyways, here is an example:

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:38 PM   #2

That is lovely! Love the feather definition!
SharonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:28 PM   #3

Now, that's cool. Excellent job of focusing. Those guys don't sit still for very long so I bet some patience is in order.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 5:12 PM   #4

Thanks Sharon & Greg,

Yes, Titmouse and Black Capped Chickadees, while very common to the feeder, are extremely difficult to get completely in focus and sharp throughout.
That's as you mentioned, Greg is 'cause their so darned quick.

They fidget and jump, grab a seed and fly off, often before I've had a chance to press the shutter.

I posted this primarily for those interested in knowing what is capable with the E-P2, E-PL2/3 bodies. Provided you have a decent lens, you should be able to get some very good images. Just be prepared for some frustrations starting out.

Also, my suggestion is to set the camera for manual focus and focus the camera where you know the bird is going to be most of the time. A feeder like the one in the image helps because you know where the bird is going to land. Once you have the lens focused, it's a matter of your ability to press the shutter without shaking the camera.

A tripod is a must in this kind of set up. When you first start, if you get 5 out of 100 keepers, you should be happy with those numbers.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 7:10 PM   #5

.....pretty much exactlly why I don't try shooting birds Zig. I just sit back and enjoy all the super great and well done images you make; for me it keeps the frustration level manageable.

This is a really super good image, thanks!

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 7:27 PM   #6

Yep, pre-focussing on a spot with a static camera and doing a fast burst as they come in is probably the best strategy, even with micro-specific lenses.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:11 PM   #7

Another point for using the older primes, when used on our m4/3 cameras, our image sensor is working with the central area of the lens, the sharpest point of the lens. Very little if any chromatic, pincushion, barrel distortion.
If the lens was known for its sharpness and clarity, on the m4/3 it can really shine. I love using my old Nikkors, though they do have some weight compared to the native M4/3 lens
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:13 PM   #8

Forgot to mention what a stunner of a shot you have taken there Zig.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KulaCube View Post
Another point for using the older primes, when used on our m4/3 cameras, our image sensor is working with the central area of the lens, the sharpest point of the lens. Very little if any chromatic, pincushion, barrel distortion.
If the lens was known for its sharpness and clarity, on the m4/3 it can really shine. I love using my old Nikkors, though they do have some weight compared to the native M4/3 lens
And this 300mm f4 of Zig's is one of the newer ones....an AF-S (I believe) Nikkor, not one of the old manual focus, pre-ED versions that's just a so-so lens.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 6:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KulaCube View Post

Well said. One of the real benefits of using a cropped sensor camera.