Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 23, 2012, 8:26 AM   #1

Default My New Olympus E PL2 Has Arrived

I've had a quick look at the manual, but this camera pleases me! I've a lot to learn but I think the learning is going to be fun! I shot a few of Fred today just to compare them with the pics taken with my previous camera. I like them better, and I didn't require flash which is also great!
Attached Images

SharonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2012, 9:13 AM   #2

hey congrats! fred looks good, being able to shoot indoors without using the flash makes it much easier to do pet photos.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 9:30 AM   #3

Nice shots but learn how to use the single box focusing, very easy to use. I believe the detail may improve. Is that a Yellow Nape, the parrots known for drawing blood? :=)
Old Nov 23, 2012, 9:42 AM   #4

Yes, he's a Yellow Nape. He left quite a few bruises and drew blood at the beginning. We had to have a little "talk"...aka... me setting a few rules, which Fred had never had. Yellow Napes get a bad rep, but they just require firmness and consistency. I used to teach school, so I'm good at that! He will not bite me now, and I totally enjoy him! My husband is scared of him, though!

He's actually placed in the top nine for "World's Best Talking Parrot". There are no days that I do not laugh at something he says or does!

I'll check out the single box focusing...I haven't got that far in the manual yet. Thanks!
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonC View Post
Yes, he's a Yellow Nape. He left quite a few bruises and drew blood at the beginning. We had to have a little "talk"...aka... me setting a few rules, which Fred had never had. Yellow Napes get a bad rep, but they just require firmness and consistency. I used to teach school, so I'm good at that! He will not bite me now, and I totally enjoy him! My husband is scared of him, though!

He's actually placed in the top nine for "World's Best Talking Parrot". There are no days that I do not laugh at something he says or does!

I'll check out the single box focusing...I haven't got that far in the manual yet. Thanks!
I had a Yellow Nape and he drew blood. Funny is that he always wanted to be with me, fly to whatever room I was in. He even like sitting on the towel rack in the shower when I was in there. He would never let you hold him for more than a couple minutes and YEOW! He hated my wife and she was the bird lover. I use to build/fly RC aircraft and I had a 7 foot wing build on a table downstairs and he would stay there and watch me work on it. I went up for a Coke and when I came back down, the wooden balsa wing was nearly destroyed. My fault there, can't leave those guys unattended. My wife had an Umbrella Cockatoo at one time and while we were working he let himself out of the cage. When I got home he was up on the curtain rod and had all the wallpaper border stripped off and one padded chair was destroyed along with the straw basket centerpiece on the dining table. We actually had to use luggage locks to keep him in the cage. He was very clever. I guess I should have PM'd this, has nothing to do with cameras. Sorry admin.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:52 AM   #6

Cockatoos are real Houdinis, and often escape. Fred loves to chew wood, and is supervised when he's out. I learned that the hard way, after he destroyed a lamp shade that was within his reach. Fred has been clipped, so he's not all over the place.

I can't find reference to the single box focusing in the manual...still looking....
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonC View Post
Cockatoos are real Houdinis, and often escape. Fred loves to chew wood, and is supervised when he's out. I learned that the hard way, after he destroyed a lamp shade that was within his reach. Fred has been clipped, so he's not all over the place.

I can't find reference to the single box focusing in the manual...still looking....

I love my E-PL2, but if I have one main complaint it is that the manual is pretty worthless.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:06 AM   #8

take a look at page 35.

I personally prefer the PDF versions as they are more easily searched; they can be found here. I also keep a copy on my smartphone as I can use it in the field where I likely won't have the paper manual at hand.

http://olympusamerica.com/cpg_sectio...ls.asp?id=1552
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
take a look at page 35.

I personally prefer the PDF versions as they are more easily searched; they can be found here. I also keep a copy on my smartphone as I can use it in the field where I likely won't have the paper manual at hand.

http://olympusamerica.com/cpg_sectio...ls.asp?id=1552
I agree, I printed out the long version and punched holes in the sheets and put them into a three ring binder. I just keep the manual in my gadget bag.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:21 AM   #10

The manual came with the camera...a paper version.

Page 35...are you referring to having face priority on. I think it is on...I assume that works for iauto mode?