Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:29 PM   #1

Default lens hoods - do you use them and when?

I have lens hoods for my Panasonic 45-200mm, my Olympus 70-300mm, my manual focus 300mm prime. I don't have anything for my other lenses except the primes all have step up rings to use my 52mm filters on them.

Many people complain about Olympus' policy of not including a hood standard, I always kinda thought they didn't include one because they didn't think you really needed one.

Wondering where people draw the line? I tend to think that under a certain focal length they become less needed till you get to the big front element on a fish eye, but at what point does it become a good idea? 45mm?

So friends here at Steve's do you find a hood is needed and if so for what lenses?
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2012, 1:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
I have lens hoods for my Panasonic 45-200mm, my Olympus 70-300mm, my manual focus 300mm prime. I don't have anything for my other lenses except the primes all have step up rings to use my 52mm filters on them.

Many people complain about Olympus' policy of not including a hood standard, I always kinda thought they didn't include one because they didn't think you really needed one.

Wondering where people draw the line? I tend to think that under a certain focal length they become less needed till you get to the big front element on a fish eye, but at what point does it become a good idea? 45mm?

So friends here at Steve's do you find a hood is needed and if so for what lenses?
I have a (cheap) ebay hood for my 14mm. It might be my imagination but it seems to have cut down on some glare but only in certain situations. Different people will tell you different things concerning the lens hood issue. The way I see it is that it's not going to hurt anything.

It will also fit the Panasonic 20mm (same filter size), but I've heard some people say that the extra weight could eventually damage the focusing motor on that lens: I'm a little anxious about that.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:44 PM   #3

I use hoods instead of "protective filters" to protect the front of the lens from bumps/damage, so I use them indoors and outdoors.

As far as helping image quality, just think about yourself outside and looking into a landscape with the sun high enough above the horizon you are not looking directly into it, but low enough it bothers your eyes. Do you see the landscape better with nothing shading your eyes, or with a hat or your hand shading your eyes?
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 9:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
As far as helping image quality, just think about yourself outside and looking into a landscape with the sun high enough above the horizon you are not looking directly into it, but low enough it bothers your eyes. Do you see the landscape better with nothing shading your eyes, or with a hat or your hand shading your eyes?
personally I always opt for a nice pair of good polarized sunglasses in the situation you just described which is why I would probably use a CPL filter in this situation, that said I can see how the shade would be even better.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:32 AM   #5

If I was outdoors taking the picture with my E-M5, a pair of sunglasses over my eyes would render the EVF pretty much useless. I have two pairs of glasses, one with transitions lenses and an identical pair without transitions lenses for when I am outdoors taking pictures. Sun glasses make working with electronic finders almost impossible.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:43 AM   #6

In certain situations I will get dark corners from using the lens hood on my 14-42 Oly. It is an Oly lens hood for that lens so I don't know.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 1:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
If I was outdoors taking the picture with my E-M5, a pair of sunglasses over my eyes would render the EVF pretty much useless. I have two pairs of glasses, one with transitions lenses and an identical pair without transitions lenses for when I am outdoors taking pictures. Sun glasses make working with electronic finders almost impossible.
I think he was just making an analogy, and not actually saying he shoots with sunglasses on...
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 1:17 PM   #8

Greg said, "I use hoods instead of "protective filters" to protect the front of the lens from bumps/damage, so I use them indoors and outdoors."

me too! Looking at the dings my hoods have and the dings my lenses do not have is what convinces me to use hoods.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 3:12 PM   #9

G'day all

Lens hoods are a vexed issue - they come with some lenses & not others ... etc
But I find most of them don't help all that much with my superzoom lenses

btw- On the G2's we have the 14-140 + the 100-300 available and the Fuji goes out to 600mm

My logic is that the lens hood is designed not to vignette when at the wide end of the zoom, thus leaving the long end of the zoom vulnerable to extraneous light 'damage'

So over the years I've made up my own lens hoods - several of them
Here's the one I use for long lenses

Made from a plastic drinking glass, sawed off at the filter-ring size;
80-grit rough sand-papered inside to roughen the surface;
a 62mm filter minus the glass is glued into the tube, then the whole thing painted with blackboard matt paint [step rings are used for the 67mm dia 100-300]

I use it with the 100-300 & the Fuji when the lens is over the 200mm position - yes it vignettes below 200mm, but it means that I can point at the sun and shoot totally flare free to within 'kissing-angle' of the sun itself. Great for sunset landscapes

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 4:04 PM   #10

I used them all the time when every there is a lens hood available. Think the only lens that I have that does not have hoods are the 14-42 and 20mm for my m4/3 line up, for my canon dslr they all have hoods. They are really good for helping prevent flares on sunny days.