Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:04 AM   #1

Default Panny 45-200 at goodwill

I like to browse the shopgoodwill website from time to time. Lots of useless junk, some interesting junk, a few choice items. Once in a while you'll see something that people had no idea what a gem they had when they donated it to GW. Anyhow, it looks like someone dumped a bunch of almost-new Panasonic 45-200s:

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/search/S...&showthumbs=on

Probably most people here have that lens or something similar/better, but I thought you might want to take a look. There is also a GF-2 and GF3 on there. Bidding on there seems to be pretty competitive, so I don't know if it will end up as a good deal or not. Hey, it's for a good cause so I thought I'd let people know.

Last edited by SammyKhalifa; Nov 30, 2012 at 10:07 AM.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:11 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
I like to browse the shopgoodwill website from time to time. Lots of useless junk, some interesting junk, a few choice items. Once in a while you'll see something that people had no idea what a gem they had when they donated it to GW. Anyhow, it looks like someone dumped a bunch of almost-new Panasonic 45-200s:

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/search/S...&showthumbs=on

Probably most people here have that lens or something similar/better, but I thought you might want to take a look. There is also a GF-2 and GF3 on there. Bidding on there seems to be pretty competitive, so I don't know if it will end up as a good deal or not. Hey, it's for a good cause so I thought I'd let people know.
I'd be a little leery ordering something like this "as is". You might end up with a 100 dollars worth of junk.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
I'd be a little leery ordering something like this "as is". You might end up with a 100 dollars worth of junk.
Well, yeah. Most of the stuff I'm interested in I know is probably junk already. Still, they do come with the box so I'm a little less skeptical.

Check this one out:
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem...temID=11921869

Another example of someone not knowing what they had, I think. Looks like they just bundled them together to get rid of them. I'm not tripod expert, but a quick look around at different sites tells me that they should do really well here. Someone's going to win a lot of nice equipment. Just that one ballhead alone is like a $400 ballhead.

Other times they bundle things nonsensically. Even if I were interested in a canon 50mm lens, would I really want like five canon 50mm lenses?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:24 AM   #4

Quote:
I've bought a few lenses off of good will and they're as described.

If I didn't own this lens I'd probably go up to $150 as they look pretty new.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Well, yeah. Most of the stuff I'm interested in I know is probably junk already. Still, they do come with the box so I'm a little less skeptical.

Check this one out:
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem...temID=11921869

Another example of someone not knowing what they had, I think. Looks like they just bundled them together to get rid of them. I'm not tripod expert, but a quick look around at different sites tells me that they should do really well here. Someone's going to win a lot of nice equipment. Just that one ballhead alone is like a $400 ballhead.

Other times they bundle things nonsensically. Even if I were interested in a canon 50mm lens, would I really want like five canon 50mm lenses?
I spotted a NIB Canon 5D MKII in there with a present bid of 732.00 but with 6 days left that will probably go for well over 1,000 if not 1,500.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:53 AM   #6

Quote:
I spotted a NIB Canon 5D MKII in there with a present bid of 732.00 but with 6 days left that will probably go for well over 1,000 if not 1,500.

I get the impression that the site was at one point a well-kept secret that isn't so well kept any more. For me, it like flea market browsing that I can do when I'm in down time at work.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:04 PM   #7

Quote:
I get the impression that the site was at one point a well-kept secret that isn't so well kept any more. For me, it like flea market browsing that I can do when I'm in down time at work.
I agree, at one time it had bargains, these days there are enough people watching who will turn around and sell it on ebay that you rarely find a good deal. I just looked on ebay and these lenses are going for $150 and up used, so anything close to that is probably not worth the gamble. If I remember at one point Sammys had them new for $160-170 after rebate.

I paid $200 used for mine less than a year ago. With the newer 45-175 zoom I expect we will see more close out deals on these.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 6:41 PM   #8

Quote:
I wouldn't buy the 5D MKII with no warranty for that price. I saw a deal at Ebay for $1500 new.
Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 9:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCKSer View Post
I wouldn't buy the 5D MKII with no warranty for that price. I saw a deal at Ebay for $1500 new.
Yeah, I'm just semi-looking for some inexpensive legacy lenses to play with, or maybe something for macro. I'd have to think long and hard before buying something "big ticket."