Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporegirl View Post
Thank you all for responding. After going through all of it and doing some additional research, i've decided to go with the lens. Now, the question is, WHICH LENS? Panasonic 20mm F/1.7 or the 25mm F1.4 ?

I've read that the 25mm focuses faster and the auto focus isn't noisy, like the 20mm (esp. for video). The 25mm is also much more expensive. I've read a lot of the pros and cons between the two, but what i really want to know is this:

Should i shell out the extra cash for the 25mm to be used on the EPL1? Or just get the 20mm? I've only been using the auto settings on the camera, but i'm slowly learning how to manually change the settings.

Thanks!
I was eyeballing both of these lenses . . . went with the 20 because I was able to justify the purchase to myself and enjoy using it months sooner.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Thank you all for responding. After going through all of it and doing some additional research, i've decided to go with the lens. Now, the question is, WHICH LENS? Panasonic 20mm F/1.7 or the 25mm F1.4 ?

I've read that the 25mm focuses faster and the auto focus isn't noisy, like the 20mm (esp. for video). The 25mm is also much more expensive. I've read a lot of the pros and cons between the two, but what i really want to know is this:

Should i shell out the extra cash for the 25mm to be used on the EPL1? Or just get the 20mm? I've only been using the auto settings on the camera, but i'm slowly learning how to manually change the settings.

Thanks!
either lens is going to be great... I thought this review on cameralabs was pretty good and has a couple of comparison shots to get an idea.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Pa...m_f1-4_H-X025/

Obviously it is also worth checking which focal length you prefer using the kit lens you already have by taking some test photos at 20 and then 25 and comparing them to see which you like better as far as field of view. Personally like the 25mm focal length more than the 20mm.

End of the day money comes into play and there is a reason why the 25mm costs more, it is in sum a better lens than the 20mm, not by very much, but taken as a whole it is a better lens and hence the market still bears a higher price for it (both lenses have dropped in price since introduction).

If you want the most bang for your buck and still aren't sure you can always get the Sigma 19mm f2.8 for $149.95... yeah it won't be as fast as either of those panasonic lenses but it will be an upgrade over the kit zoom
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:07 AM   #13

Quote:
I'm not familiar with whether these m4/3 cameras I mention come with a better kit lens than the EPL-1 kit lens (which isn't working for me)...
Starting with the EPL2, Olympus changed the kit lens to the 14-42mm II, which appears to be a better lens. However, I'm curious as to why the EPL1 kit lens is not working for you. It is a very decent kit lens in terms of optics.

As for your dilemma, I'd get the lens. Just not sure I'd go for the 20mm. I had it and did not like it. It's sharp and fast but it tends to over expose. I'd look at other alternatives. The fastest is the Leica 25mm f1.4 but it's also much more expensive. Then there is the new Zuiko 17mm f1.8, the Sigma 19mm f2.8 (a step slower but for the price, it's a bargain), the old Zuiko 17mm f2.8 or a slightly faster 14mm f2.5, which is the lens I replaced the 20mm with (and I'm very happy with it). If you want a less of a WA, then the Zuiko 45mm f1.7 is probably one of the best m4/3 lens out there.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote