Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:24 PM   #1

Default Pittsburgh!

If you've seen any image of Pittsburgh at all, it probably looked a lot like this. I thought I'd take it again. :0

SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:33 PM   #2

If Pittsburgh were situated somewhere in the heart of Europe, tourists would eagerly journey hundreds of miles out of their way to visit it. Its setting is spectacular, between high bluffs where the Monongahela River and the Allegheny River meet the Ohio.

--Brendan Gill
Old Dec 15, 2012, 8:33 AM   #3

cool shot of an American icon. I was there years ago for a conference and had a pretty good time, I didn't make it to the spot you shot this from though, thanks for sharing!
Old Dec 15, 2012, 9:15 AM   #4

I definitely want to go, if only to see a game in that beautiful baseball stadium. There certainly seems like a lot there to keep one busy shooting all day.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 9:34 AM   #5

I like the shot of the funicular. It almost seems as though it is from another era, superimposed on modern day Pittsburgh.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:24 AM   #6

The "Pike's Peak" type car gives the scene a lot of depth. Very nice Sammy!
Old Dec 16, 2012, 8:14 AM   #7

....someday I just need to stray away and see the eastern half of USA. I've been everywhere in the west half but never to the east.

This is a really good perspective of the city, thanks.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 9:37 AM   #8

Awesome shot. What lens was it taken with? A wide-angle and you get the fort-pitt bridge in to complete it on the right. Too bad that fountain in the middle hasn't worked in 6 years. What time of day was this taken?
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 5:41 PM   #9

Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew881 View Post
Awesome shot. What lens was it taken with? A wide-angle and you get the fort-pitt bridge in to complete it on the right. Too bad that fountain in the middle hasn't worked in 6 years. What time of day was this taken?
It was right after the sun went down. I had the 14mm with me, but this one's with the 20 because i couldn't get the shutter speed down fast enough with the 14 to stop the motion blur on the incline (without going to a high ISO). I took a few in a landscape mode that got a little more city, but in the end I liked this one a little better.

Approx. same view with the 14 in landscape:

Old Dec 16, 2012, 6:22 PM   #10

Some more shots from the same night:

This last one I took with a 15 second exposure, first time I tried anything like that. I didn't have a tripod--just held it real still on a rail with a 2 second delay. The shot itself is just okay, but I like the light trail of the airplane on the upper right. And it's way sharper than I thought it would be considering I was just trying to hold it still.

It was originally the +1EV exposure of an HDR I was going to try making. I didn't like it (they looked like a disaster merged together), but I think the over-exposed image looks good after I dialed it back a bit.

Last edited by SammyKhalifa; Dec 16, 2012 at 6:37 PM.