Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:39 PM   #11

It's more than just the downloading process. When I work files in Camera RAW in Photoshop CS6, when you finish in ACR you can elect to open the item in Photoshop and do other stuff to it. The image at that point is not yet saved on the computer, so you're still working on an unsaved, uncompressed file you can then save as a JPEG using Photoshop. You can even choose the level of compression, using a 1-12 rating system with 12 being the least compressed and 1 being the most, AND the system shows you the resulting JPEG file size based on the setting, so if the "12" setting is going to produce a 15MB file size, you can see that before saving and change it to "11" and see how much smaller the file will be. In Lightroom you have to make a selection based on percentage of 0-100%, with no indication of what any of those settings means in terms of final file size, and you get what you get. There's no way to preview the final size of the JPEG before saving and picking a setting that makes sense.

In Lightroom you export the file, whether you are finished or want to then open the file in Photoshop and do something else, but it first gets saved, so you have to re-save it again if you elect to do anything extra, like applying PTLens or doing Layers-based processing, and compress the file yet a second time. It's a clunky joint venture between Lightroom and Photoshop compared to just doing it in Photoshop from the get-go.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Dec 18, 2012 at 10:47 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:16 AM   #12

So far ASP seems much easier to use than PSE10. Bob, I have had files established so I'm not sure what you mean by destination file, etc. Here is a screen shot of what I presently have. Does ASP save the original file somewhere or does is just do the editing on the pic itself? Oh, I never worked with layers, can you do this with ASP or just make the sky bluer?

ASP screen shot by James Gasta, on Flickr

Last edited by James Emory; Dec 19, 2012 at 8:19 AM.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:45 AM   #13

James, ASP will save the edited file in the same directory as the 'input' data, in your example.... 'House pics'

That can be changed..... I do that so to separate the final (jpg) from the input data putting only the edited files in the separate directory.

See the 'OUTPUT' tab, click that then, do the click scenario I described to establish the 'destination' path.

There are some very good 'online' webinars for using ASPro, these can be found from the Corel website. I and Jim C (moderator) have posted links so a search here should find those links.

I recommend watching the presentation to see a bit of what can be done. This is the link to the initial webinar == link ===> http://tinyurl.com/6rbuhpo

I don't do much of the 'whammy' good stuff but ASPro is a very capable system which may work for you. I hope it might.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Dec 20, 2012 at 12:27 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:56 AM   #14

Thanks Bob. I see that video is one hour long and I wish she wouldn't talk so darn fast. I will watch it later when I get all my running done for today. I generally do not save original files but just keep the edited version. I believe I set it up when I save as, it writes over the original file. I don't have to click the output tab, when I select "save as", the destination window pops up. If I just click the output tab, I don't see any destination option. At present, I do not see a need to keep both the original and the edited files but maybe I should. That would sure use a lot of memory keeping both files.

Last edited by James Emory; Dec 19, 2012 at 8:59 AM.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote