Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:08 AM   #11

Tripod, prefocus, remote shutter release.
Quote:
Originally Posted by x Sarah x View Post
You know, at my parents house i can sit under the cherry blossom and the birds will not mind me at all and will feed just a few feet away, however...

As soon as i raise my camera or hold it to my face, they scarper! Its like they associate you lifting something up with throwing/shooting and they are gone in a instant! so frustrating, but i suppose a key to their survival.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:57 AM   #12

Sally and everyone thanks for checking them out I am glad you enjoyed them as much as I enjoyed taking them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Birds are tough enough without adding the extra problem of glass, but these are very good. My girlfriend has a bird bath and there is a great viewpoint from her living room, but it requires shooting through some sliding glass doors that are thick enough the AF system just does not work well.

I've tried using a blind at the photo club's meeting spot at the Heard Nature Center but it can be an exercise of frustration trying to capture those fast-moving critters, even in such a controlled setting.
By positioning the feeder in close proximity to the kitchen window I am lucky enough to be able to use my house as a blind, I sit at the kitchen table on the other side of our open concept kitchen about 20 feet away from the window and go about my morning coffee and internet surfing with a direct view to the feeder. When I see activity the camera is next to me and I can pick it up and slowly make my way closer to the window. I know which spots I can lean on something to get extra support and I can do all this while still in my slippers! I don't think I could handle the sitting in a blind out in the cold for hours waiting. The other day I did get a little "feedback" from my better half because as we were having breakfast I kept looking past her to see who was on the feeder now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Andrew,

Very nice series of images. I'm very impressed with your ability to focus on the bird in a busy background. You're a better man than I as I've long ago gave up on shooting birds with my Olympus E-P2 camera.

Also, I'm very pleased to see you take a photo of a bluebird. They are so scarce , here on the Cape, this time of year.

Very pretty bird.

Zig
Thanks Zig! When you have only one tool at your disposal as I do you learn to use it as best you can.

We are super excited about the bluebirds, last year we had a pair, this year we have two pair if you look at the last male I posted you will notice he is smaller than the other one. I have a few neighbors who do the nest boxes, I may start doing that as well, in the mean time I will keep them well fed as they pay me back with their colorful presence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Tripod, prefocus, remote shutter release.
Always an excellent option. I've been thinking about getting a suction cup equipped gorilla pod to allow me to mount the camera on the outside of the window and use a wireless shutter release. I think it might be really cool to put the camera real close to the feeder and use the 45mm f1.8

Just in case anyone is wondering Pixel does make a semi universal wireless remote (TW-282) that when combined with the correct cable for Olympus (CL-UC1) can be used for all the RM-UC1 compatible cameras. I have this setup and it works well. In bad light I will use this setup along with my big 300mm f4.5 manual focus prime but as long as the light is good enough I can use the 70-300mm handheld which allows me to capture birds not just on the feeder but on the branches which I kind of prefer. That said careful observation might allow you to find branches that are "at bat" stations for the birds where they stop 7 times out of 10 before going to the feeder or while waiting for another bird to finish up, these spots can be prefocused and still the feeder less natural shot captured.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 2:39 PM   #13

Ramce, can you link me to those products please?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
Sally and everyone thanks for checking them out I am glad you enjoyed them as much as I enjoyed taking them!

By positioning the feeder in close proximity to the kitchen window I am lucky enough to be able to use my house as a blind, I sit at the kitchen table on the other side of our open concept kitchen about 20 feet away from the window and go about my morning coffee and internet surfing with a direct view to the feeder. When I see activity the camera is next to me and I can pick it up and slowly make my way closer to the window. I know which spots I can lean on something to get extra support and I can do all this while still in my slippers! I don't think I could handle the sitting in a blind out in the cold for hours waiting. The other day I did get a little "feedback" from my better half because as we were having breakfast I kept looking past her to see who was on the feeder now...

Thanks Zig! When you have only one tool at your disposal as I do you learn to use it as best you can.

We are super excited about the bluebirds, last year we had a pair, this year we have two pair if you look at the last male I posted you will notice he is smaller than the other one. I have a few neighbors who do the nest boxes, I may start doing that as well, in the mean time I will keep them well fed as they pay me back with their colorful presence.

Always an excellent option. I've been thinking about getting a suction cup equipped gorilla pod to allow me to mount the camera on the outside of the window and use a wireless shutter release. I think it might be really cool to put the camera real close to the feeder and use the 45mm f1.8

Just in case anyone is wondering Pixel does make a semi universal wireless remote (TW-282) that when combined with the correct cable for Olympus (CL-UC1) can be used for all the RM-UC1 compatible cameras. I have this setup and it works well. In bad light I will use this setup along with my big 300mm f4.5 manual focus prime but as long as the light is good enough I can use the 70-300mm handheld which allows me to capture birds not just on the feeder but on the branches which I kind of prefer. That said careful observation might allow you to find branches that are "at bat" stations for the birds where they stop 7 times out of 10 before going to the feeder or while waiting for another bird to finish up, these spots can be prefocused and still the feeder less natural shot captured.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 3:51 PM   #14

first you need to buy a TW-282 kit, this one was the cheapest I can find on Amazon, I actually bought mine from Rainbowimaging, they don't list the CL-UC1 cable but will sell it to you if you call or email for it.

http://www.amazon.com/Pixel-TW-282-D...eywords=tw-282

The cable that it comes with will be worthless to you but it will be cheaper to buy it with a cable bundled. If you also had a Canon or Nikon it would however make sense to buy that kit since you can use it with both.

You will need to then buy the CL-UC1 cable

http://www.amazon.com/CL-UC1-Remote-.../dp/B004KRG968

The genius of the system is that the input to the remote is a headphone jack like connector (looks like the stereo headphone/mic combo type) that allows the remote to be used with different cameras with just a change of the cable. The other cool thing is the cable can be plugged directly into the control part and it can bused as a wired shutter release. It also has intervalometer modes for time lapses.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 5:43 PM   #15

Thanks Ramce, reasonable enough price. How much is the cable that you need to make this work?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Thanks Ramce, reasonable enough price. How much is the cable that you need to make this work?
That was the second link currently $7.70

http://www.amazon.com/CL-UC1-Remote-.../dp/B004KRG968