Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:41 AM   #1

Default First shots with 40-150mm Oly

Had this lens for over six months and never used it until now. Not too bad considering it's not a terribly expensive lens. First time I edited with Corel ASP but didn't do a whole lot to it other than sharpening and clicking on the clear box on ASP. A group of people donated money to bring this ship to my city as a floating museum. The dock is under construction and should be completed by spring where at that time the public can pay a fee to explore the ship. It's the USS Edson.

P1030500 by James Gasta, on Flickr

P1030499 by James Gasta, on Flickr

P1030497 by James Gasta, on Flickr

Last edited by James Emory; Jan 8, 2013 at 11:45 AM.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:53 AM   #2

Those look pretty good. I was on the verge of getting that as my "long" zoom until I found a deal on the Panasonic 45-200 that was too good to pass up. From what I hear, they're pretty similar . . . except for size. The Panny is pretty big.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:03 PM   #3

This lens is pretty lighweight. Just trying to learn something about ASP and getting my feet wet with this trial software.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Those look pretty good. I was on the verge of getting that as my "long" zoom until I found a deal on the Panasonic 45-200 that was too good to pass up. From what I hear, they're pretty similar . . . except for size. The Panny is pretty big.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:56 PM   #4

It is a very good lens, maybe not as tack sharp as the 75-300 from what I've seen from the postings. I keep kicking myself for not carrying it more often. And as you can see, gets you nicely up close to your subject. though the paint may be flaking, it does not seem to rusty. Nice captures James.
How are you liking the AfterShot? Just so you know, you can get a copy of Photoshop CS2 (yes, really old version) currently for free, then pick up the Adobe DNG Convertor and you have a fairly decent and powerful RAW processing package for a great price -- free!
http://www.steves-digicams.com/news/..._for_free.html
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 7:51 AM   #5

I think CS2 would be a lot like PSE10 which I removed from my computer. Too mind boggling and I do not like the idea of a separate program for organizing and editing. A pain in the butt. And I really do not need all that capability for what I do. Let me crop, color correct, sharpen, etc and I'm pretty satisfied. ASP is easier to use than PSE10 but I barely got me feet wet with it. I think for any of these type editing programs you have to go to the book store and buy a dummy book to learn how to use it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KulaCube View Post
It is a very good lens, maybe not as tack sharp as the 75-300 from what I've seen from the postings. I keep kicking myself for not carrying it more often. And as you can see, gets you nicely up close to your subject. though the paint may be flaking, it does not seem to rusty. Nice captures James.
How are you liking the AfterShot? Just so you know, you can get a copy of Photoshop CS2 (yes, really old version) currently for free, then pick up the Adobe DNG Convertor and you have a fairly decent and powerful RAW processing package for a great price -- free!
Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:53 AM   #6

james, nice sharp shots, the lens is certainly a bargain if you don't already have something else in the focal length. When people ask about getting a PEN I often point them to the two lens kit that includes this lens and the 14-42mm, together it is usually a great deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KulaCube View Post
Kula - I saw that and got the download but to be honest GIMP when you add in the plugin pack is so far ahead of where CS2 was I can't commit the time to learn it.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:37 AM   #7

I'm with you Ramce. When I had my Canon 40D I have Canon's Digital Photo Professional software mastered. Went with the Oly and thought I was going to be able to use DPP but no luck. It doesn't recognize Oly RAW files and no plug in seems to work. So now I'm back to square one and still haven't decided on which software to learn. I don't like the filing system of Picassa but that is pretty easy to learn and I haven't even loaded the Oly editing software so I don't know how good that is or if user friendly. Never tried GIMP yet either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
james, nice sharp shots, the lens is certainly a bargain if you don't already have something else in the focal length. When people ask about getting a PEN I often point them to the two lens kit that includes this lens and the 14-42mm, together it is usually a great deal.

Kula - I saw that and got the download but to be honest GIMP when you add in the plugin pack is so far ahead of where CS2 was I can't commit the time to learn it.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:53 AM   #8

The 40-150 is a very nice, extremely light weight lens. Your battleship images are super sharp, James. Excellent.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:20 PM   #9

Thanks a lot Greg. I must correct you though, it is a Destroyer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
The 40-150 is a very nice, extremely light weight lens. Your battleship images are super sharp, James. Excellent.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 2:50 PM   #10

I like it. I have this lens and find it to be a great performer. I wish it was 40-200mm, then I would get rid of my Lumix 45-200mm. Even when I use this lens on the G3, which does not have IBIS, I get sharp images...more so than the Lumix, which a lot of times is a hit/miss.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote